Short Grammar Questions (Part 1)

I guess that’s it, and I am just overthinking. So the use of passive here - instead of something straight like character2さんに聞いたよ, is used to add feeling of annoyance/regret, like as often with passive ? (suffering passive)

Edit : thanks @jneapan ! sorry I posted just after you and missed your post.

2 Likes

It threw me for a loop when I first thought of it. I sort of learned this as a set phrase and it got solidified in my head without thinking of the grammar. TBH it still doesn’t make much sense grammatically. I mean the one that does the 聞くing is ミリム, if you turn it into passive the one who does the 聞かれるing is リムル, so it’s strange that it’s 俺に and not 俺が, but I’m not sure. The most grammatical way to express the idea in my head would be 俺に聞いても, but I guess I still need to learn these kinds of things.

I found another very good link about this problem !

I think it actually solve it. This is my understanding of the explanation :

俺に聞いても
and
俺に聞かれても

actually means both “Even if you ask me…”, wich seems very odd at first, but it’s because they have completely different underlying structure.

The one in active voice is :
(あなたが)(そんなことを)俺に聞いても。
Even if you ask such things to me

And the one with passive voice :
(そんなことが)(あなたによって)俺に聞かれても。
Even if such things are asked by you to me

Because regular 聞く use に to mark who is asked, it’s become confusing when using passive voice so the person in the link above use によって to make clear “by who” the question is asked.

7 Likes

Oh my god, that makes so much sense. Thanks for that, my mind just exploded.

I only get a 404 page from that link.

2 Likes

It seems that part didn’t get copied over. Hopefully you can edit it, and it’ll work for others.

1 Like

ホッケーの競技場さえも、オゾン層の破壊に関係しているって、知ってたかい
Did you know hockey arenas are related to the destruction of the ozone layer?

I don’t quite get the use of bolded parts in this sentence. (from the example sentence for 〜層 - Layer Of)

I only took a quick glance, so wait for someone more knowledgable to confirm, but;

さえ as far as I know can often be translated as “even.” “Even hocky rinks contribute.”

も because it’s not the only thing contributing.

The って I would assume is the casual quotation particle. You’re talking about what “they” (science, the news, people) say about ozone corosion.

The end of the sentence seems to me the てた form followed by かい question marker.

I could be way off, though. :joy:

3 Likes

As someone even less knowledgeable than you (if we’re looking solely at our levels) I think you’re spot on. Except さえ I have studied everything you mentioned, I just have little exposure (I’ve watched a a lot of anime, but I have picked up almost nothing from it :/) to Japanese, that I never recognize even the things I’m supposed to know, when I encounter them in the wild. The optional い in ている being a constant oversight on my part by now.

Oh, and I almost forgot: Thank you / どうも!

2 Likes

No problem - it’s good practice for me as someone of quite low grammar knowledge, so I’m glad people like you openly pose their questions. ^^

It’s happenstance that I learned about てた form this week, otherwise I would have done the same as you and cut off after て and wondered about the rest.

For some particle practice, I’ve been using the app Japanese Particle Master on my Android phone. I think Tofugu also recommended it?

1 Like

No, you’re quoting what it is you know. “Did you know ‘hockey rinks et cetera’?”

2 Likes

They quote themselves too? culture shuck

Well, it’s an indirect quotation. Xと知っている = know that X, except it’s って rather than と 'cause casual.

1 Like

このアンケートは大学生が対象です。
This questionnaire targets university students.

This was from the core 2000 flashcards deck from Anki. Shouldn’t the が, in this case, be replaced by の. That way you show that the questionnaire is the target OF university students.

This is an AはBがC structure - C says something about B, and BがC says something about A. 学生が対象 = students are the target. このアンケートは大学生が対象 = (students are the target) of this survey.

6 Likes

I was looking up some song lyrics earlier and I came across this section in one of the verses (line breaks are as written):

この花は
私の心と知り
それは記憶と共に
消えてゆく

I’m slightly confused about the grammar in the second line, specifically the ‘と知り’. Is that supposed to be 知る in the continuative form? Am I correct in thinking that the first two lines mean something like ‘I know that flower is my heart’?

Not sure if it is the case here, but you can use the continuative form as an alternative to 〜て form. It makes the text sound more formal (edit) or poetic

1 Like

@Saida is right on this one. If you see something like 知り like that, it’s the same meaning as 知って, it connects different phrases. I think your intuition of the meaning is correct, cause mine says the same thing, but it just might be something in my blind spot, I don’t have much experience with poems and such. But I did read somewhere that Japanese poems are often ambiguous, so the reader can interpret it himself (or something like that, I might be remembering wrong)

2 Likes

3月15日で学校は終わる

I posted the above sentence in HiNative and it was marked as being natural sounding. Then someone else posted this correction.

3月15日に学校を卒業する。

Why did the second person suggest 卒業 to be a better verb, and why did they change で to に in the second case? Does anyone know?