Say Something About The Kanji Above You

I haven’t studied it yet, but it’s pretty :> I know the radicals suggest mountain up and down xd
I’m looking it up atm, it means mountain peak. (どうげ)

next: 果
this one is one of my favourites

3 Likes

果物は好きですか。A tree in a paddy, must bear fruit! While looking up other words with this kanji, I came across はかないい: fleeting, transient. Or ephemeral, one of my favorite words. Makes me think of

蝶, for some reason.

2 Likes

Appears in the word 蝶番, “hinge”

Next kanji: 記

3 Likes

This is kanji is part of the title of 古事記 (こじき) written in the early 700’s, and the earliest written account of Japan’s history.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/古事記#Japanese

Also, in Hong Kong, in Cantonese, you may see MacDonalds referred to as M記! (記 is used as a suffix for restaurants there)

My neighbor across the street just died two days ago :frowning: , so I will leave you this:

4 Likes

My condolences :slightly_frowning_face:

The meanings of 忌 face us with some interesting and seemingly paradoxical dualities.

In Chinese, the character 忌 (jì) is associated with fear, dread, abstinence and taboos. It can also carry the meaning of jealousy, but this is likely a modern (20th century) development, due to second-round simplification, and therefore does not appear to have carried over into Japanese.
As for how this meaning of dread, fear and taboos gave us a Japanese word for mourning, Henshall suggests that it is due to death being closely associated with taboos in traditional Japanese culture; death is perhaps the ultimate form of kegare, and thus something that one must tread very carefully around.

Similarly, the kun’yomi い has an interesting duality to it. It has been suggested (for example here and here) that the い in む (“to detest, to avoid, to abstain from”) is originally the same い that is found in いわう (“to celebrate, to worship”). These two verbs reflect two possible ways of interacting with the supernatural, being simultaneously sacred and taboo.

Since we’re moving through the 己:s, let’s go with:

4 Likes

Not perhaps surprisingly, as this kanji has some similar meanings to 記, 紀 is used in the title of the second oldest chronicle of Japan: 日本書紀 (にほんしょき), finished in 720CE.

First oldest: 古事記 (こじき), 712CE
Second oldest: 日本書紀 (にほんしょき), 720CE

So, what is the third?

続日本紀 (しょくにほんぎ), 797

Which makes sense, because now it is continued.

2 Likes

That’s a font difference. In the past, all things with the scooter radical had two drops when printed, but they’ve always been written with only one drop. It was a difference in how the individual strokes were interpreted in the printed form.

This has led to confusion where some people actually thought you were supposed to write two drops. So some fonts do update it while others might not (discrepancies appear particularly when the character is rare, or “scooter” is not the “main” radical). On my phone right now I only see one drop in 縫.

But the main takeaway is to always write one drop by hand.

And if a website tells you to write two drops in their diagrams, they’ve lazily auto-generated them and it’s a mistake.

8 Likes

@Leebo先生, we would be more than honored if you would care to deliver some information the next kanji, which you can see abve is 続.

:slight_smile:

Otherwise, someone else will take it next.

3 Likes

続 is one of many kanji that were simplified. Specifically when the kanji for 売 was simplified from 賣 (composed of 士 and 買), kanji like 続 and 読 also were redone with 売 on the right side, despite the fact that they were only visually similar to the old kanji for 賣. Their original forms were comprised of 士, 四, and 貝 on the right side in Japanese.

But they looked close enough that they all got simplified the same way to 売.

How about 志 next.

7 Likes

As a noun, 志 has a 5 mora reading, こころざし, resolution, which is quite rare.
Other times that a kanji has 5 mora are 承る (うけたまわる) to hear

and 詔 (みことのり) imperial decree

So by decree, the next 漢字 is

5 Likes

詔 can also be written 御言宣 (みことのり)
御言 means “The spoken words of the emperor or a noble”
宣 means “Imperial order or decree”
So its actually a triple word kanji put into one, which is why its reading is so long.

I wanted to one-up you but apparently there are no 6 mora kanji (that Im aware of)
So ill one down you instead:

4 Likes

Ah, 侍(さむらい), a true classic. It’s the person 人 at the temple 寺 !

Noun form of the old verb 侍ふ(さぶら・う)、meaning something like “to wait”; in the sense of waiting [remaining stationary] at the side of one’s superior, ranging from personal attendant to guard duty. The shift to さらふ apparently came about in the Muromachi period.

EDIT: I did a tiny bit more reading and just discovered this verb still exist, albeit in a different form!
侍る(はべ・る)= to wait upon, to serve.

Next, I’d like to know something about:

5 Likes

This kanji almost always gets its pronunciation from 参, さん or ざん.
惨 さん appalling
惨じ さんじ disaster
惨憺 さんたん miserable
惨状 さんじょう disastrous scene

but don’t confuse it with these monsters
残酷 ざんこく cruel
残虐 ざんぎゃく cruel
残忍 ざんにん brutal

Next:

3 Likes

参 - This club is private and only those with big hair are allowed to participate

Next:

3 Likes

Nice kanji! Thank you for feeding me!

Although this is defined as “push open”, it is used in several greetings, and in several words that describe different types of dialogue.

挨拶 ( あいさつ ) a greeting
挨拶状 (あいさつじょう) greeting card
or my favorite obscure one:
一挨一拶 (いちあいいっさつ ) a dialogue with a practitioner of zen to gauge their level of enlightenment

Related:

5 Likes

迎 - Riding a scooter, a Cat Pirate has arrived. Welcome, Cat Pirate on a scooter!

Next:

3 Likes

Is a jinmeiyo kanji, not is WK, yet appears to be in a couple of common words, such as 賑やか (にぎやか) bustling, busy, lively and 賑わう(にぎわう) to be crowded with people.

3 Likes

That animal in the field is a cat!

I like fields of

5 Likes

The leader of all of the flowers is still a flower; they just have a spoon because they’re fancy and important or something

5 Likes

食 means food. and is used in words like
食べる - to food → to eat
和食 - japan food → japanese food
試食 - try food → sample
a very good and useful word.

3 Likes