Request: Stopwatch/timer of reviews

I wish I could have an extension that starts a timer when you begin your reviews and ends when you finish, so I can see how long it takes me to do however many reviews. Can that be possible?

That’d be kind of cool!

Maybe add in some function that gives you an average for how long it takes each item to be answered, etc.

An interesting idea.  Perhaps it would need a ‘pause’ button that blanks the screen though, as sometimes if I’m doing like a session of 100 reviews I’ll stop for a bit to get a drink/do other things, which would mess up the times.

https://greasyfork.org/scripts/8432-wk-reviews-timer

Hey! I leave a small userscript for Tampermonkey & Greasemonkey that adds a timer function during the reviews. I hope you find it useful.

I’d personally like a countdown timer that can be toggled on and off during reviews that makes you answer in a certain amount of time (maybe 15 - 30 seconds?).  I feel that taking more than a set amount of time per word / kanji / radical is counter productive.  I don’t think it should be required but would be a nice feature (sort of like how memrise has a timer).  For me at least, the faster I go the better things stick, if I just stare blankly at something I don’t know it doesn’t accomplish much except for waste more time.  This would be a good idea I think.

Edit: @liquidcow has a point.  If I have a huge pile of reviews I often end up grabbing a snack or have to do something throughout the review session.  A pause button would definitely be needed.

mreskimoeqib said... I'd personally like a countdown timer that can be toggled on and off during reviews that makes you answer in a certain amount of time (maybe 15 - 30 seconds?).  I feel that taking more than a set amount of time per word / kanji / radical is counter productive.  I don't think it should be required but would be a nice feature (sort of like how memrise has a timer).  For me at least, the faster I go the better things stick, if I just stare blankly at something I don't know it doesn't accomplish much except for waste more time.  This would be a good idea I think.

Edit: @liquidcow has a point.  If I have a huge pile of reviews I often end up grabbing a snack or have to do something throughout the review session.  A pause button would definitely be needed.
i agree
mreskimoeqib said... I'd personally like a countdown timer that can be toggled on and off during reviews that makes you answer in a certain amount of time (maybe 15 - 30 seconds?).  I feel that taking more than a set amount of time per word / kanji / radical is counter productive.  I don't think it should be required but would be a nice feature (sort of like how memrise has a timer).  For me at least, the faster I go the better things stick, if I just stare blankly at something I don't know it doesn't accomplish much except for waste more time.  This would be a good idea I think.

I don't know if the script would be better if it enforced the 30s time. Making it play an annoying countdown could help maybe.
meneldal said...

I don't know if the script would be better if it enforced the 30s time. Making it play an annoying countdown could help maybe.
 it would be useful, with leaderboards displaying success percentages and time records ratio of wanikani members will be amazing
delacannon said... https://greasyfork.org/scripts/8432-wk-reviews-timer

Hey! I leave a small userscript for Tampermonkey & Greasemonkey that adds a timer function during the reviews. I hope you find it useful.

Wow! Thank you!
ashleybotts said...
delacannon said... https://greasyfork.org/scripts/8432-wk-reviews-timer

Wow! Thank you!
I just realized this too! :D 
Thanks for the script!

Now only if we can convince our leaders to implement this as a stat, or something... That'd be so cool! ^_^
I see what you mean here, but I personally think it's better if you eventually manage to remember something on your own than if you are reminded of it.  Although I usually remember an item within a few seconds or not at all, I have had the occasional moment where I've sat for quite a while trying to recall the answer, and eventually got it on my own, which I do think re-inforced the memory of it for the future.  If you really want to hone your memory and test your recall ability, a forced timer could be good for that though.
Slimeria said... I thought you were supposed to stay on an answer for as long as you could, trying very hard to remember the meaning and only giving up if you're certain you've forgotten it? Isn't that how SRS works? If so, being timed not only would probably reduce your performance by making you panic, but would also screw with your SRS by having you see the answer when you could have recalled it.
 Yep, this is how it tells you how to do it in the introduction, and as I said above I think this works best for getting it into your head.  There is a revision technique described in either TF or 30 Days (can't remember which) where you give yourself only a few seconds or even a second to remember a kanji before moving on, but this is more about improving your recall of ones you already know, and I think should be done separately to WK.