Reflecting on WaniKani at Level 4

The best way to stay on track is the POLL thread

But once you’re POLLed in, it’s gonna be hard to leave… :caught_durtling:

2 Likes

Agreed :joy:

Welcome to WaniKani @cydominRoll san :raised_hands:

Have fun :star_struck:

2 Likes

This is probably the nicest and most civilised forum I’ve ever seen.

5 Likes

Funnily, while reading the first two paragraphs, I thought this was a satirical post addressing common newcomer complaints (waiting to learn kanji, level up intervals, WaniKani’s custom “radicals” (“paticles”), and the paywall at Level 3). I was prepared for amusement, but I received wholesomeness! Glad to have you here!

1 Like

I have not yet discovered the POLL thread, but now I’m very interested (especially considering you’re at lvl 58!!) :eyes: I’ll take a look thanks! :sunflower:

2 Likes

The POLL thread is a thread where everyone just chats about whatever they want to chat about

The thing about the POLL thread is it always changes its name, but every name has to contain POLL inside of the title so you can recognize the POLL thread :eyes:

Here’s the link to the latest one (there’s a limit of 10000 posts per thread, so we have a new POLL thread every few weeks)

https://community.wanikani.com/t/should-there-be-a-forum-category-for-polls/51902

2 Likes

Ironically, the worst paper I ever wrote in high school was a sad attempt at satire that got me my first and only C. Apparently I can only sound satirical on accident! :joy:

I actually think all those things you mentioned newcomers complain about are better this way than the way they want it to be (at least from what I’m seeing so far, might be a bit blinded by excitement and too new to WaniKani to have seen its downsides yet). I was honestly so impressed by WaniKani that I was happy to throw money at it by the start of level 3 because I was just ready to keep going, and I feel like the creator deserves to be paid for making something so fun! :joy: Not to mention just the genuine desire to teach people Japanese that comes through the Tofugu blog posts. Even the little “Love Koichi” at the end of the level up emails makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. And who knows, it could be a huge strategic marketing ploy and Koichi could actually be a real turd in real life! :laughing:

(Also, I know I’ve still got newbie excitement syndrome so I probably sound a bit naive/over-enthusiastic/whatever you wanna call it, and I’m sure over time I might run into some issues since I know WaniKani isn’t perfect, but I’m gonna ride this excitement high for as long as I can!! :sparkles:)

2 Likes

Username does not check out.

1 Like

Oh no this looks mighty fun and time sucking indeed!! :joy:

2 Likes

I mean… I have spent a lot of time here over the last year, but I really mean it - it can be more motivating to do WaniKani if you’re active in the community :laughing: But of course there are other areas in the forum, too

1 Like

I actually don’t usually participate in forums or online communities, I even play my MMO’s solo most of the time, so the original post alone was a bit out of norm for me. But I’m already having so much fun that I’m going to make it a point to be active now! I appreciate everyone being so welcoming here! :sparkling_heart: :sparkles:

3 Likes

yeah im trying my 1st paid month and feels like this is the shit, awesome website and community as far as i’ve seen!

1 Like

Welcome! I shared many of your feelings and motivations when I started WK. And now at level 60, I feel no different. I’m so glad I decided to get serious about learning Japanese and I’m so glad I chose WK - I’ve always wanted to be able to really read Japanese, and while I still have work to do, this app was critical in getting me as far as I am now. I’m super excited for you and your journey!! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.