Reading BOMB (in JLPT Grammar section) help?

I definitely noticed myself moving my lips as I read during the JLPT. In a sense it probably slows me down, but it also helps reinforce how the reading should sound … which is all to say that I should be reading a lot more so that I can get past that stage.

@Shiawase For jlpt-specific resources, I’d recommend japanesetest4you.com, which is full of free study materials including sample readings with questions to get you used to the format. Here’s an example:

https://japanesetest4you.com/japanese-language-proficiency-test-jlpt-n3-reading-exercise-08/

I don’t know what level you took, but you can look on the right side of that page and find the appropriate level. Also, I’m lucky enough to live in a city with a branch of the Japan Foundation, which has a terrific lending library including all the JLPT study materials you could want. Don’t know where you live, but they’re a great resource if you’re near one.

Since you mentioned Satori Reader, I subscribed for a year when it was a new service, but I found it too much beyond my level at that point, so the readings were slow-going and ultimately not that enjoyable. Since I’ve learned so much more vocabulary in the last year thanks to WaniKani, I decided to give it a try since they had a special recently with 3 months at half price each or something. I’m re-reading things I’d previously struggled with and finding them much easier. I kind of don’t think I’ll keep subscribing after the three months, but for now, it’s a reasonably low-stress way to read more-or-less interesting material. It’s probably most useful around N3 level after which it will probably seem mostly too easy.

Anyway, as others have said, I think the more you read, the faster you’ll be able to read with understanding. By the way, I was in the same boat as you, not being able to finish the reading portion of the JLPT, so let’s improve together for next time.

2 Likes

Don’t forget the classic technique of reading the questions first.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure I got the last two right. I saw the answers of the girl ahead of me once they called pencils down, and either we go down together or we were on to something there.

I don’t think I even read the long essay thing entirely. I read the questions first, scanned for the matching phrases and read around them for context.

I hope that worked. I really don’t know.

One thing to keep in mind is that people who are good at reading Japanese can read entire words and chains of words, just based on the density distribution of the darkness of lines against the lightness of the page.

With lots and lots of reading practice, you too can develop your brain’s ability to quickly and subconsciously assign meaning from line density, without much active, conscious thinking (which is too slow for the JLPT).

For example, it means that people can read these, even though the individual strokes are often illegible by themselves:

(taken from https://japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/36423/is-this-8px-height-font-understandable-for-japanese-knowing-people )

4 Likes

Wow, that looks like a mess. But I’m pleasantly surprised to see that the more I look at, the more I realize that there’s a significant handful that I can actually decipher from the limited resolution. Brains are really amazing sometimes! :open_mouth:

2 Likes

None of this seems particularly applicable as it was simply reading pace. (As I understood it fine and can read manga decently, sometimes even fast if I know all or the majority of the vocabulary or have decent enough context. Less complex news, too).

But I will still keep this in mind as I go forward.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.