📚 📚 Read Japanese Every Day Challenge - Spring 2024 🌸 🍡 🌱

1st april

day one! it’s a bank holiday and there’s family to entertain so today was a ‘squeeze in what i can’ kind of day. read chap 1 (47 pages ish) of no. 6 vol 3 and it’s still kinda tricky but manageable. continue to be baffled at that one MAL review where the person was like ‘this isn’t a dystopia it’s just a slightly futuristic city with a slum problem’ like are we reading the same thing??? also read some stuff on pixiv

today’s nhk article was this one (very short), and read the entries on それは and それぞれ in aDoIJG

what i read over the break (i finished ouran!)

no.6 vol 2 - nothing much to say there tbh. parts of it are a bit tricky to follow.

roughly 4 volumes of ouran and it’s done!!! :tada:

apparently started reading volume 1 all the way back in july of last year, and really committed to it in december, definitely the longest its taken me to read anything but worth it imo. after like ten years i finally found out what happens! i do have my issues with the ending, mainly that literally everyone gets married/paired off with each other which is kind of boring to me (especially when some of these characters showed no interest in romance as a concept or each other) but! tamaki and haruhi are v. v. cute so they get a pass.

the first volumes were a steep learning curve, ngl, but the middle ten volume chunk of roughly vol 6 to 16 was really enjoyable and much easier. the art was better and easier to follow, there were more story arcs as opposed to the ‘new chapter new thing’ format of the earlier volumes which introduced a lot of new (usually obscure) words every chapter. that still made a comeback every now and then, but with breaks of #Teen Drama in between it was easier to handle.

having said that, the first half of vol 17 was a massive difficulty spike and the egoistic club cluv at the end was maybe the worst thing i’ve ever seen but i got through it :joy:

the page in question. does contain fairly major spoilers but good luck finding them

so yeah! if you can overlook some stuff which is a product of it being written in the mid-late 2000s, and ofc get over the difficulty curve/occasionally ropey art, and you like comedies and romances with strong character and relationship development, i’d recommend it! some of the jokes in the second half especially made me laugh out loud

20 Likes