📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2022 🏖 ☀

Summary post

Back with another update! Had another very busy week, but I haven’t broken my streak yet!

Reading in Spanish

I finished the local history parallel text book that I was reading! I picked out a young adult book called Antes de Ser Libres by Julia Alvarez to read next. So far, it’s going well! It’s relatively short (184 pages), so should be a fairly quick read. The story is interesting, albeit sometimes a little dark. The language is pretty clear and straightforward.

As far as Japanese goes, I got quite a bit done! I translated three Tokyo Joshi Pro Wrestling shows in one week. Here is my post about their July 16 show, the July 17 show, and the July 18 show. All in all, I’m not exactly sure how many thousands of characters it was, but I think it was somewhere in the range of 8-9,000.

So, over the past three weeks, I translated seven shows and one press conference, for a total of about 25,000 characters. If an average page of text in Japanese is 400 characters, that’s the equivalent of translating 62.5 pages of text. Not bad when you’re very much still a beginner!

I talk about this in that last post, but I also ended up reading this Tokyo Sports article after a screencap of a DeepL translation of it (which went viral on wrestling twitter) seemed a little bit fishy. As it turned out, I was right to be suspicious, because that wasn’t what the article said at all :sweat_smile:.

Of course, that didn’t stop wrestling reporter Dave Meltzer from reporting the misinformation regardless… I really wish that English-speaking reporters who don’t know any Japanese wouldn’t report on articles from the Japanese wrestling scene if they have to rely on machine translation to do so.

In any case, I’m happy that my Japanese is at least good enough that I can start to debunk a lot of these rumors myself. That’s a pretty important milestone.

Here’s a photo from the July 18 show that I thought was pretty incredible. This is Hikari Noa hitting her finisher, the Blizzard Suplex, on Yuki Arai. Arai’s comment after losing this match is what prompted the article that started the rumors.

Only one show to translate this week! And it’s not an especially long one! Looking forward to that :blush:.

23 Likes