Race to Your Goal! December 2020 JLPT

Happy to help where I can! :see_no_evil: Welcome back! How was your vacation?

2 Likes

D-d-d-d-d-d-double digit level up! Yay!! :partying_face:

10 Likes

恊悁恧ćØ恆ļ¼:smile::tada:

3 Likes

Alright! Iā€™ve added you to the leaderboard. Youā€™ve got member status in the forum, so just update yourself whenever you level. Thereā€™s instructions about how to do that at the top, but if you have any questions, Iā€™m happy to help!

3 Likes

@xomia, welcome! Would you like me to add you to the leaderboard? I havenā€™t taken the JLPTs before myself, so I canā€™t offer you an answer to your question, sorry. I think there are some JLPT practice tests, so you could see if the 4 is really easy for you and then decide which test to shoot for.

Does anyone else have any advice?

2 Likes

Hey there, and welcome! Iā€™m afraid I donā€™t quite understand your post.
Would you like to join our ā€œraceā€? It looks like youā€™ve got member status in the forums, so feel free to add yourself to the leaderboard if so. Thereā€™s instructions in the first post up top.

1 Like

Thanks! It was full of family and very fun. I wish it had lasted longer!

3 Likes

Thanks for the help!

2 Likes

Hi @FennelFox
I wish to join the race. Could you add me please?
My average level-up speed is 8 days and 16 hours.

Thank you!

3 Likes

It depends when you want to do the test and how much time youā€™re willing to invest in it.
I calculate my skills to be between N4 and N3 as well, currently. And Iā€™m dedicating a lot of my time to study for the N3 which Iā€™ll take in December this year. (with a lot I mean up to 4 hours a day)

My studies include:
Wanikani, for kanji obviously (I reduced it to around 10 lessons per day the missing kanji, Iā€™ll try to learn before I do the test, or I wing it, if it doesnā€™t turn out to be that many)
Tobira, (one chapter per week starting tomorrow) for the grammar, reading practice and more vocabulary.
Anki decks from Tobira, to help study those vocabulary and kanji points
Iknow, for extra vocabulary. Currently the additional vocabulary to accompany Wanikani

for listening I watch sesame street on youtube, or the occasional anime. I donā€™t consider that to be much of learning, just a way to immerse myself in a relaxing manner.
I hope this way I can get myself to N3 level in time for the test. I want to be able to get a fairly good score on it, not just pass it. Mainly because I want to do the N2 next year, and I want to become a translator. Which was my original plan when I started these studies in 2007.

Anyway, hope this helps.

As for my progress on wanikani. I see a level up coming on Tuesday. I still have 64 lessons pending though. So level 13 will also be a slower one. I may crank up my lessons to 15 a day.
Still summer vacation obviously.

3 Likes

Yes, please add me! Iā€™ll do a little more research to see where my goal should be. Level 60 seems a little high for me starting so late.

1 Like

This was really helpful, thank you!

1 Like

Welcome to the race, and welcome back to WK! Iā€™ve got you added. It looks like youā€™ve got member status, so you can update yourself as you level.

Thanks for joining us!

2 Likes

Ok! Iā€™ve got you added. Iā€™ve got 60 as your goal just as a default, but let me know what youā€™d like to change it to when you decide.

3 Likes

FINALLY
@jprspereira :wink: seriously though thank you for the encouraging words :heart:

Also, out of curiosity, anyone here planning on taking the JLPT this December?

9 Likes

I might have the confidence to do it, seeing as Iā€™ll be living thereā€¦ but I always feel nervous about testing and issues with never being good enoooough. that and I hate spending money haha

3 Likes

Just translated the first text in the Tobira chapter.
Not because they ask me to, but because, since I want to be a translator eventually, I figured I could really use the practice as early as possible and because I think it really forces me to dissect the sentences and find out what it exactly says.

So far, I seem to not be struggling as much with Japanese. I understood fine. Itā€™s just the putting it into English that makes sense part that I seem to struggle with.
Iā€™m not really sure if I should improve on that, since I eventually translate into Dutch since they wonā€™t allow me to translate into English (Iā€™m not native after all)

Which then makes me think, should I just translate into Dutch in the first place?
Which also makes it hard because then Iā€™d have to translate from Japanese to English to Dutch as most sites, books everything, translates to English by default. So Iā€™d have to change all the vocabulary sites that I use, to also include Dutch. The sheer work of that alone makes me want to take a nap. Of course Dutch is always easier for me.

Of course I kind of also need someone to check my work. Hmm.

Edit: Iā€™ll just do both English and Dutch. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Goood jobbbbbbbbb :heart_eyes: If you donā€™t let them pile up again, I wonā€™t be tsun :eyes: :heart:

also, donā€™t forget to post it hereeeee: The 0/0 Streak Challenge - #2376 by morpheme

3 Likes

55%20PM

This is VERY SIMILAR to 0/0

11 Likes

Okay up to 10 now. 9d15h

I forgot how great it felt to get hit with 100+ new items after leveling up :woozy_face:

Trying to give 1-2 days to focus down the vocab related to the previous level before hitting the rest

2 Likes