Quick Contraction Reference

Hey, I think I found another contraction:
「前にも言ったろ
自分を大切にしろって」

If I’m not mistaken, the part in bold is a contraction for 言っただろう。

The sentence comes from episode 2 of 幸色のワンルーム

Take this with a grain of salt, but this SO answer says:

I’m not sure that this is a contraction of 言っただろう, actually, I would interpret it as a contraction of 言ったろう – which has the same meaning as 言っただろう, but is now archaic or at least very old-fashioned, I think (alas).

So if correct, in practice they do mean the same thing, but it seems to come from something else.

1 Like

言ったろう also seems like a useful contraction! I think it should be included in the list

1 Like

For sure. I figured that would at least be some interesting extra info (assuming it’s correct).

Yeah, I don’t think it’s fair to call 言ったろう a contraction of 言っただろう. I think I’ve only seen the former in books where characters use older speech.

1 Like

So my quote ( 「前にも 言ったろ
自分を大切にしろって」) contains archaic speech? O_o

That’s kinda surprising because the speaker is a teen and I got it from a J-Drama that was based on a manga

EDIT: I did some more research: take a look at this: https://hinative.com/ja/questions/6788291
言ったろ=言っただろ and from my studies, だろ is just a rougher way of saying だろう

Maybe it’s coming back into fashion out of laziness? :laughing:

2 Likes

Recently I’ve read Visual Novel titled Natsuzora Kanata, and there’s this one character, Futaba, who seems to use あっち as an contraction of あたし. I’m not sure if it is common speech pattern IRL, or if it’s one of those “fiction-only” ones?

We just ran into (ん)ち as a contraction for のうち in the ABBC. It might be a good addition to this post?

1 Like

Seems like a reasonable example to add in the の can become ん section.

1 Like

Interestingly enough, んち appears to be common enough that it’s got its own entry in Jisho.

3 Likes

I remember how it tripped me up while I was reading my first little untranslated VN (Hanahira) 2 years ago. I thought it would be easy, since it’s written mostly in kana, and is 99% dialogues. And then right in the first or second scene, I encountered the mysterious ひとんち :smiley: From the context it looked like it could be 人のうち but still I was confused, since by then I didn’t know about this particular contraction.