Pushing through tiredness

Hello!

I am sure this has been spoken about before but I just wanted to know what do you all do when you’re too tired to do reviews.
Sometimes in a day I will be super busy and I just do not have the brain power to sit down and do 200-300 reviews. But when I look at how my reviews will stack up if I don’t clear them ASAP makes me panic, so I just push through the brain fog to clear them, even though I end up getting a lot of them wrong because of it.

Is there a better way to manage reviews than this?

6 Likes

I personally don’t do reviews if I’m too tired, because I’m more likely to get them wrong and it will affect my motivation in a negative way if I get something wrong that I know the answer to.

so I just push through the brain fog to clear them, even though I end up getting a lot of them wrong because of it.

When I’m tired I go full potato-brain and I mess up even the most basic of answers. I would rather delay my review until I’ve had some rest than risk setting back a ton of the Kanji / Vocab.

You could also make the arguement if you can’t answer them when you’re tired you aren’t fluent
enough and you need to practice more, but personally I don’t think about it that way!

If you have too many reviews stacking up at once (like 200-300) you need to space them out more, so do 100 per day for example. If you do 200-300 in one sitting they’ll pop back up in 200-300 chunks anyways.

But when I look at how my reviews will stack up if I don’t clear them ASAP makes me panic

I think there is a userscipt to hide the review number so you can do it at your own pace without seeing it be at 300 and panicking.

Found it:

Just remember to thank @Kumirei if you use it :durtle_noice:.

You can also use this for the home page:

Is there a better way to manage reviews than this?

The only way I’m aware of is to space out your reviews into manageable chunks say 100 or less per day, and make sure you do your reviews daily - try to find time before you get too tired, even if it’s on the bus or during a lunch break. This will help with the “stacking-up”, and it’s super important for your progress.

6 Likes

I try to spread my reviews during the day (I’m in a position I can do that), so i usually don’t have that many reviews

2 Likes

It’s good to try to keep up on your apprentice reviews when you’re tired at least. If you mess those up, the stakes are pretty low (unless it causes you to get stuck at 89% guru’d kanji for three days of course). I’ll reorder my reviews to knock out just my apprentice reviews if I fall behind but it must be done rarely, for that’s a dangerous path the dark side…

5 Likes

I do three sessions: morning, noon, and evening. So a single session will have at most 60-80 reviews since I usually have around 150-200 daily reviews by keeping my Apprentice count around 100.

wk

And even with the spread out sessions, that’s only around an hour a day total.

If I had to do a big review pile, I’d use the “Wrap Up” feature to break it up into chunks of 50 with a short break in between.

2 Likes

I never knew this button existed until now, so thank you so much for bringing it up! I try to get some of my reviews done too (instead of all) when I don’t feel like reviewing because I don’t want them piling up, but having the items showing up again on the next review was a problem I didn’t know how to fix.

It’s hard to believe I’ve never investigated the screen I look the most to in my everyday life.

3 Likes

Awesome, glad I could help. :smiley:

Yeah I’ve had to use this a few times. Just last week I had a work dinner and missed my evening review so I woke up to 130 items. Did them in two batches with coffee in between. :wink:

2 Likes

I try to do what I can. I’m in that phase right now where I’m exhausted and I’m keeping up with grad school and the rest of life. The reviews are piling up so I’ll look at them and try to do even just 10 reviews. And then maybe later in the day I’ll have a bit of energy and do 10 more. There are days where I have more energy and I can get them all done, but lately I’ve just been doing a few chunks at a time thanks to the wrap-up button.

Good luck, you’ll make it I’m sure of it.

2 Likes

if i have something like 80 reviews, i’ll push through. i have done that several times, even after getting zero sleep the previous night. my accuracy would suffer, but it’d still be better than not doing them

but if i were facing 300 reviews, i’d space them out. even if i weren’t super tired…

4 Likes

I’ve been there more times than I can count, what I just do is I start, and I allow myself to stop after any amount. Is it only 1 review? That’s still one review down! But most of the time I manage to do quite a few once I start, it’s just the beginning that takes the mental effort.

The important thing though is, no matter how little you do, don’t blame yourself or say you SHOULD do more, you already did one! If that’s all that’s in you, then that’s it, try again tomorrow (or next break today)!

3 Likes

Thank you everyone for the advice!
I think I need to stop being so harsh on myself and space out the reviews as suggested! I just came on for the first time since I posted this and have another 250+ reviews, so will just try clear 50 for now and see where it takes me.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.