Please don't remove support for Internet Explorer 11

I think you’re beyond saving…

1 Like

Of course, unless you feel like paying for extended support, it’ll just keep getting more and more vulnerable :wink:

I work in a major research university and we’ve just about sacked off all of the Windows 7 devices finally and removed any network access from the stuff that’s left. Granted, because of the nature of work, we’ve still got some machines around that run Windows 3.1 or just plain DOS, but it doesn’t mean we let them anywhere near an internet connection :smiley:

2 Likes

I get plain DOS, but what’s the advantage of a machine running Windows 3.1? Is there any software on Windows 3.1 that doesn’t run on any other Windows version or can never be updated? Isn’t Windows 3.1 basically just an application that runs on DOS?

1 Like

I’ve never looked into the specific use case, to be honest, I am simply aware that we have one or two. I work specifically within the faculty of engineering and design and so we have a lot of old and esoteric research instrumentation that is far too old, specific, or expensive to replace and therefore just ticks along on whatever legacy terminal it was set up on at the time.

You’re right though, there aren’t many with 3.1, there are are a few '95 machines, some XP, and a bunch of now-off-network Win 7. Then there’s something in the region of 6k Win 10 machines.

2 Likes

Once at a party, I was talking to a group of people about Windows, and how we all remember using Windows 3.1. One of them said, “Windows 95 was released in 1995. I wonder when Windows 3.1 was released?”

I jokingly replied, “1931.”

The guy, very seriously, said, “Naw, man, I think it was the 90s…” :rofl:

10 Likes

Ha! That makes me very happy.

We were having a team meeting the other day and I remarked that the new May patch for Win 10 being version 2004 makes me think we should be getting Windows XP Media Centre edition.

2 Likes

I don’t think we’ve ever supported IE11, though I think we generally do try to make things work on some older IEs! So, mostly bad news, but also goodish news that if it works now, it might keep working in the future? :crossed_fingers:

15 Likes

I guess my perception of “difficult” is a bit skewed compared to the average developer

The amount of effort I have to put into making things work for Internet Explorer these days feels like nothing compared to what it used to be for IE 6-8.

:roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Well George R. R. Martin writes the whole Game of Thrones saga using WordStar (so I assume running on DOS, unless there’s a WordStar version that runs on other operating systems). If I were a millionaire author of dragons I’d probably also have various computers running exotic operating systems at my home :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

That’s because when he started the first book, WordStar was cutting edge. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

George R. R. Martin confirmed he is using a DOS version.

2 Likes

No wonder Winds of Winter isn’t complete yet…

3 Likes

Maybe… maybe someone should tell him he can turn spell-check off. Or add words to the dictionary, that way he can be sure he’s being consistent with the spelling of his proper nouns.

6 Likes

That sounds far too logical, haha. When you’re creating a sprawling fantasy epic, clearly there is no space in one’s head for reading the manual :wink:

2 Likes

I did some reading and it seems that WordStar (although it’s not developed or sold any more) is now owned by a company called Houghton Mifflin, which sounds too much like Dunder Mifflin. If there was ever a chance to do a crossover between Game of Thrones and The Office, this is it…

1 Like

2 Likes

Meanwhile us Linux users are sitting back and eating popcorn

3 Likes

http://popcornlinux.org/

2 Likes

Hey, fellow JET here! I was also worried about losing support on the browser I use for work. Luckily, I was able to still do reviews, but couldn’t do lessons, on Internet Explorer 11. However, I recently discovered Edge already on my computer. Check to see if Microsoft Edge is on your work computer. Everything seems to be working fine for me :grin:

1 Like