Please don't remove support for Internet Explorer 11

Please don’t remove support for Internet Explorer 11. While it is a dinosaur that I’d love to replace I’m not allowed to on my work computer. As a JET I do a lot of my reviews between classes at work.

5 Likes

Sounds like you should try to convince your work to upgrade to Edge. IE11 makes web development significantly harder and removing support for it allows developers to add features and use modern web design techniques more easily.

13 Likes

While I certainly don’t disagree with you, and I’m sure the actual userbase this will affect is small, the amount of power an ALT has to decide quite literally anything regarding general workplace practice/rules is literally 0 in most cases I’m aware of. Some of my friends aren’t even allowed to opt out of kyushoku.

3 Likes

I figured, I just don’t like IE11 and want it to die.

22 Likes

I’ve literally never liked it, so I feel you. Even back in the late 90’s early 00’s I was using Netscape instead until FireFox came out. Regardless, if their school still uses IE11 I highly doubt they’ll change. My school has Edge, but I’m allowed to use Chrome. I imagine it’s more of a reluctance to change issue than anything else.

1 Like

I’m surprised Japan doesn’t still use IE7 to go with their fax machines.

24 Likes

Me too. I’ve got multimillion dollar equipment that STILL requires it*, so I doubt it’s going to die anytime soon. :roll_eyes:

*AND a specific version of JRE (1.5). sigh

2 Likes

Well, Windows 7 EOL extended support ends in 2023, so I imagine that’s when IE11 will finally die.

3 Likes

Our computers can’t even install Edge. Something about the version of Windows 10 LTS we’re running or something. Edge isn’t ‘compatible’ with it.
We did just recently finally make Chrome the default though. Having to support IE11 is awful.
But of course, we have a few third party sites we rely on that don’t work outside IE10/11, so users will still have access to IE. And since users often hate change…

1 Like

:rofl:

You know Windows 7 will be in use for at least another 30 years in some places.

3 Likes

That’s scary.

4 Likes

Pretty sure Windows 3 is probably still critical infrastructure somewhere

4 Likes

Yeah, but once all support for Windows 7 ends, many websites will drop support for IE11. People can continue to use IE11 all they want, but if a bunch of sites they use stop working they’ll eventually switch. Besides, I only care that software companies stop supporting IE11. I don’t care if people continue to use it.

3 Likes

Oh @Harabogi, just to let you know, Discourse just ended their support for IE11 a few days ago. So once that change rolls out to the WaniKani forums, you’ll only be able to see the forums in readonly mode and won’t be able to post.

4 Likes

With Firefox Portable you don’t have to install anything

4 Likes

If it’s anything like the IT systems I’ve managed to avoid using for the past six or seven years, you won’t be able to run portable binaries either…

2 Likes

Did I miss an anouncement? Why are you asking not to remove the support for IE now?

Personally, I would prefer WK team dropped IE support since it’s makes development more difficult and slow. And it’s not like they have a huge team. So, supporting IE means worse WK for everyone.

You might have to use your own device for reviews.

2 Likes

I doubt that the JET program actually manages their software system like the Pentagon

1 Like

I’m having flashbacks to these piles of ****.
1328-201010100003-1514609478

Point being that if they bought the computers from an educational supplier, it’s probably locked down by default.

4 Likes

I remember my uni had totally locked down PCs that were running lunix with a WinXP skin… Luckily it was just the ones in the library. Lab rooms had newer machines with actual Windows (probably 7).