Older Learners

It’s definitely good for the brain! I started Japanese at age 68 because EVERYONE on both sides of my family ended up with dementia by the time they were 80. I decided I was NOT going to let that happen to me, and I was already having a LOT of senior moments. Within six months of starting Japanese study, the memory lapses had stopped completely! So, yes, Japanese is very good for the older brain!

12 Likes

That’s fantastic! I did not know that learning a language helps with memoria lapses. At some point I wanted to learn piano for the same effect but it was too tiring to keep track of two lines of score and too many fingers :joy:

5 Likes

I had heard that learning a new language builds new brain synapses, so I thought a harder language would do better than an easier language. Japanese seemed like a tough language, so I started that, and now I keep studying Japanese because it’s fun. My brain is doing just fine, better than ever. So it’s worth it!

9 Likes

Sounds like my approach to life :rofl:
I’m not expecting to turn in a pristine body & mind at the end, I’d like to have had plenty of use out of them (both)

6 Likes

Which is exactly why my body is in the shape it’s in! I’ve had an exciting, active life, and now I have busted up knees, bad lungs (non-smoker), and arthritis. Worth every minute of it!

8 Likes

I’m cross posting this from my book club, but if you ordered physical manga and can’t read the darned tiny furigana: So I went to my shop and found my Optivisor, which is for working on really small stuff. I think it was $60-70 when I bought it and it’s $50 now but there’s a knock off for $25 on Amazon! Guess what? PERFECT for reading manga as an old person! Those furigana are clear as a bell with this on, LOL! Here’s the knock off: https://www.amazon.com/Headband-Magnifier-Head-Mounted-Binocular-Magnification-1-5X/dp/B07M7H3P95

7 Likes

I can’t help but hear this song in my head reading your comment :smile:

1 Like

I’m 40 and have fallen in love with Japan over the past 15 years. Reading Haruki Murakami’s books was the initial source of my love for Japan. The language, the people, the environments, the food… I was fascinated from the first chapter, I guess. Learning Japanese was something I didn’t even think about at first, but after a couple of years I found the opportunity to travel to Japan for the first time, and from then on my fascination just grew and grew. A friend of mine, who lives in Japan, told me I wouldn’t be able to understand the culture and history of Japan unless I learned the language. There you have it… I had to learn. Back then I was pregnant with my first child and for a long time I felt like I was too busy to learn the language. Until now, that is! Currently I’m at WK level 9 and I feel somehow addicted to the Crabigator pit.

Being able to read and eventually understand spoken Japanese is my realistic goal. I would also love to be able to speak Japanese someday… But that comes second. Some day I would love to be able to read my favourite novel by Murakami-san, ねじまき鳥クロニクル, in Japanese… I actually bought it in a paperback edition the last time I visited Japan in 2018. Reading a book does get a little easier, if it is within your physical reach, right? :wink:

11 Likes

Absolutely! :laughing: Wanna see my pile of unread books? I have the same high expectations for them :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

It’s actually getting easier on the Kindle because of the dictionary function :joy:

4 Likes

Ha ha - my husband has one of these that he keeps offering to lend me and I keep brushing him off; I will take him up on it!

8 Likes

僕はサイボーグです!

3 Likes

When I’m not doing my reviews, I spend a lot of time puttering around in my shop making various things out of metal and wood.

In the US, the Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA) enforces a lot of rules around Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) for professional shops with employees.

I’ve got several pairs of optivisors in different strengths that I use all the time for finer work in my little shop. They sure make it easier to see what I’m doing, but one does look more than a little ridiculous wearing them.

I’ve taken to calling them “VPE” (virginity protection equipment). :grin:

9 Likes

I just had to buy a magnifying glass for the same reason. Works fine for now. I’ll probably need an Optivisor eventually.

5 Likes

The nice part about the visor is you wear it. You can also push it up with the book to not use it and then nod your head quickly to bring it back down. WARNING: If you are sensitive about appearance, don’t do any of this around people. LOL.

6 Likes

Good advice. At my age, I sure don’t care what anybody thinks about my appearance. If they don’t like me because of how I was born looking, then that’s their loss. I’d rather they see what’s inside, character.

7 Likes

16 Likes

That hits close to home.

I just had my toddler grandson in town for a week. I loved every millisecond, but I really don’t remember being this sore and tired when I was dad vs grandad!

More to the topic, it’s really amazing watching a two year old learning to speak in a bilingual environment. Two words for everything doesn’t seem to bother him a bit.

11 Likes

I just turned 47 a couple of months ago.

I live abroad and during the pandemic a lot of things kind of stopped for me. I’ve always been rather introverted, but not being able to leave my house, let alone travel and stuff just started to make me like I just wasn’t doing anything at all. I’m almost always doing courses or have regular travel planned. I guess I just didn’t feel like I was progressing in anything anymore.

I lived in Taiwan and then China for 10 years, but barely learned any Chinese while there. I seem to find myself in Japan at least twice a year and I hope to move there for work.

So last December, I said, that’s it! I’m going to try and put some focus into it! It’s been pretty good as I can still be pretty introverted, yet have some goals and feel like I am learning something. I still had to cancel my 4 day Tokyo stopover in June…but hopefully next year I’ll have new trips planned and will apply to jobs when my contract renewal is up.

I agree about learning at this age. I don’t think I would have had the time or patience when I was younger.

14 Likes

I think I’ve come around to this view. I did learn French as a young adult, but Japanese really stumped me even though I was living in the country and had every opportunity to practice. I think if I were there now I’d be more forgiving of my own mistakes and more willing to embarrass myself; I’m also better at setting up routines than I used to be.

7 Likes