"number of X" mnemonics have major lost potential

So I know I’m not the first to complain that all the vocab mnemonics for “X things” or “X day” or “X people” are lousy because they make no connection to the number. Ok, I remember coconots. How many coconots was it? 8? 9?

The real tragedy is that there is a kinda well-known way to establish mnemonics for numbered lists:

A popular set of peg-words, easy to remember because they rhyme with the names of the first ten natural numbers, is: one is a bun , two is a shoe , three is a tree , four is a door , five is a hive , six is sticks , seven is heaven , eight is a gate , nine is wine , ten is a hen

For example, an alternate rhyme for 3 would be “me”, which is a natural segue to みっつ. The given mnemonic for みっつ does actually work for this, but they drop the ball for everything else!

You could make a mnemonic about coconut wine for instance, and then you’d have a way to tie in the actual numeral for ここのつ

10 Likes

One, two, buckle my shoe;
Three, four, close the door;
Five, six, pick up sticks;
Seven, eight, lay them straight;
Nine, ten, a big fat hen;

That poem/song immediately started playing in my head when I read your post. Now it will not stop. I blame you!!! :smiley:

3 Likes

Ok, for instance, I made my own mnemonic for 十日.

You see a hen smoking a blunt. Yeah, she’s a toker (とおか).

Worked for me instantly, and I was totally lost with the provided mnemonic.

1 Like