New radicals: not too useful for me

wow, that’s amazing… someday i will visit the louvre too…

may not quite be what you are looking for but there is this…

[quote=“lailaoloriegbe, post:1, topic:57172”]
i think the memorization of radicals long term is useless for the average intermediate anyways… not my point tho

[quote]

I realize that the memorization of radicals WITH their meanings are quite useless.
However, this does not negate those who originally learned the original radicals themselves, without having it easy to imagine one’s mind eyes (such as yours truly and probably some others).
Yes this is not quite a huge problem, in fact it is a suggestion, a request. I think there would be a point in adding the synonyms to begin with (not change them to the official ones, like lots of people assume im saying?) just for ease-of-access for people like me!

As for the made up new radicals, I’m not too sure about those… like i said, i learned very few, but the muscle memory made it quite hard to get them right before discovering user synonyms…

With all that said, i don’t nececarily see a reason that it would harm ones wanikani experience… why not give it a try for like… the two or three people out there!

While it would be nice, the mnemonics for all of the Kanji are based on those radicals. So if they added the radicals that you want they would also need to add new mnemonics for every kanji they teach.

1 Like

eh… close enough. Thanks!

2 Likes

A place where original radicals and what’s not, are discussed, is here - A List of WaniKani’s Radical Names vs More Common Radical Names - #2 by Belthazar.

Another place, if you like the idea of “more than traditional radicals”, is here - A list of kanji with common components that aren't Wanikani radicals

In any case, people are allowed to have opinions. Is the goal to read, to use IME, or to write? Should these be differentiated - 礻衤, 夂攵, 阝⻏? What about radicals that can have different looks - more images to be taught? Should 月 be realized of having two distinct meanings? How would phonetic components fit into mnemonics? - There are too many things to think about, and you shouldn’t worry about too many necessary things (that distract) while learning…

So, you can learn more, if you want to; but it is not a must for everyone.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.