New People Questions! ~~~<3 [Lost?! Confused?! We're here to help!]

You have my sympathy, okayfrog! My top tip would be to take a bit of time out and write your own mnemonic for each one. Sometimes for me the WK ones are about something I don’t know about, or they don’t have the right sound in British English. Or sometimes I can just think of something much more obvious that relates to the word, or makes a silly image in my head that relates to the concept and the sound. That’s my idea for you, anyway. We will crush those leeches!!

2 Likes

Hi there! I’m new to WaniKani and loving it.

For now, I have just one question: does the time to answer matter? I want to write the kanji down before hitting enter to train my handwriting, but I don’t know if this is detrimental do my progression or note.

No, you aren’t timed on your answer.

1 Like

But I think if you idle for too long (5+ minutes on a question) it may time you out of the review.

1 Like

Hey. it’s possible I’m going crazy, but did the kanji for think (思, lvl 6) get stealth changed recently? I could have sworn it used to take the onyomi reading of shi as the answer and the mnemonic was something along the lines of finding a heart in a rice field and you THINK it might belong to sheep (SHI); something like that. But now it takes the kunyomi reading of omo with a hint about moe from the simpsons. Ive had new mnemonics past fall 2018 ON the whole time for reference.

2 Likes

You’re not going crazy, it got changed today, they announced it in the content updates:

5 Likes

Thank you! I didn’t think to check there, but I probably should have.

1 Like

I failed 思 review this morning and thought, gee, I must have really forgotten that one! Now it can stay on my leech list a little longer…

You typed something other than し, I suppose? It should still do the shakeyshake for the on’yomi.

I was just wondering if there is a script that could make it so I get the reading of a new kanji or vocab word first during lessons? I like to know the pronunciation first and then the meaning since the reading seems to be a little trickier sometimes and I want to keep it in mind the longest.

I believe [Userscript]: Reorder Ultimate 2 [newest] has the ability to do this, but I don’t use it myself, so I’m not 100% sure how it works. When you install it, during your reviews, if you click 読み方 on the scale, it will change the current item to the reading side.

Example

Screen Shot 2021-04-02 at 12.13.09 pm

Yeah I read about that one, but like you said it was for reviews and I didn’t particularly care in the review section. It’s just when I’m learning the lessons I’d rather have it in a particular order. Thanks though!!

Ah yes, I misread your question, sorry. Yeah, I actually feel this way too. Often the reading mnemonic is written to reference the meaning mnemonic though :fearful: so it might get a bit confusing, if the WaniKani team were to make this change it would probably require a full rewrite. But maybe you could ask on the What do you want now? (Request extensions here) thread and someone kind might make it for you.

1 Like

Why are some vocabulary at the end of the lessons once you unlocked the next level?

Let’s say you level up from 17 > 18. This means that you’ve Guru’d 90% of the L17 kanji. The vocab you’re seeing is a mixture of the L17 vocab newly unlocked by you leveling up, plus the other pre-new-kanji vocab in L18. They’re there to help you reinforce their readings.

Here’s one of my items; I’ve just gone from L29 > 30. That means that I’ve Guru’d 90% of the L29 kanji, one of which in my case was 僚 リョウ (Colleague). Thus, I then had vocab from L29 and L30 containing 僚 in my lessons queue, among which were 官僚 (Bureaucrat, from L29) and 官僚的 (Bureaucratic, from L30, for… some reason).

Sometimes the newly unlocked (higher-level) vocab are composed of kanji which are not from the previous level (this becomes prevalent at the higher levels). In this case, they are usually there to inform or remind you of rarer or exceptional readings. For me, the most recent ones were 成程 (なるほど), an unusual reading where the verb dictionary form ending is packed into the jukugo, and 主 (ぬし), a kun’yomi reading for a sense of one L4 kanji.

Hope this was helpful!!

(in case I misunderstood: the specific ordering is just WK-default, ordered by level (I think). You can get a reorder script and change it if you like, which I do when I’m too lazy to go through 100 lessons.)

2 Likes

I am a bit late to the party, but I feel I need to put this here:
The situation you described only happens when WaniKani checks Kanji readings (pink background), never with vocabulary (purple).
Wanikani does not always teach you the Kanji with the On-Reading (Chinese reading). Sometimes it teaches you the Kanji with the Kun-Reading (Japanese Reading).
Most of the times this happens, when the On Reading is used rarely for example in high level Kanji Combinations. So it does indeed make sense in my opinion to give you the “failsafe” if you enter a valid reading for the Kanji.

Hey gang,

Not sure what’s up but some of my readings on Tsurukame that should be hiragana are being automatically switched to katakana.
Is this something related to an app update? I’d love to be able to turn this feature off.

Thanks!

Whoops. Never mind. Just saw there was an option to turn it off in settings. I’ll leave this here in case there is anyone else out there lazier than me. :flushed:

1 Like

Not sure if best to post this here or as a new post, but how long would you spend looking at a kanji that hasn’t come to mind straight away before telling yourself “well I’ve forgotten or don’t know”, typing something wrong in and moving on? Is it beneficial to spend a minute or two digging in your mind or is it better to go faster?

1 Like

For me it kinda depends on how recently I learned it. For new reviews, I’ll give it like 15-30 seconds, for ones that are reaching the enlighten/burned stage, I give it like 5 tops. Personally I like the idea of keeping it pretty quick, since I want to be able to increase familiarity where I wouldn’t be sitting there forever if I saw it in the wild. But I have a feeling that’s just a preference thing, and can’t speak to whether it’s actually better. How strict you want to be with yourself is sorta up to you.

3 Likes

I’ll sit and give it a good few minutes if needed, especially on the first review. I find that if I do recall it then it is so much easier next time.

This matches what the cognitive science predicts: That regular retrieval practice leads to better long term recall. Don’t view the reviews as a test, view them as a learning opportunity.

Bjork and Bjork is the usual starting point.

6 Likes