New or alternate mnemonics

I’ll try to use that because honestly I haven’t come up with anything better :weary: Thanks!!

My one for 深 isn’t very pc but it helped me learn it before I learned it here and didn’t have a mnemonic. I imagined a… um… little person climbing to the top of a tree as a tsunami rolls in, but the water level is too deep and comes up to his shins (しん). If it gets any deeper he’s gonna be ふか’d. (Kun’yomi).

Ever sense 売る I’ve imagined the forehead and legs as a … um… little person. It probably makes me a terrible person but it makes for memorable mnemonics.

1 Like

This isn’t exactly an alternate mnemonic, but I have trouble telling 牛 and 午 apart. So my key phrase is “the cows are headless at noon… the cows are headless at noon…”

Considering that the mnemonics for 牛 and 年 both involve shooting cows, it’s no surprise that they’re headless.

4 Likes

(たも) preserving feels sorta similar to () holding. Dunno if that helps at all if your problem is remembering the た part though.

Hmm. To me, 牛 are animals with horns (like 羊), while horns don’t make sense on 午.

I never bothered looking at most of WK’s mnemonics. Wait, what the heck? I don’t see how shooting cows and 年 works at all…

1 Like

Alternate mnemonic for 虚 Void:
If your tiger steps on spikes, its warranty will be void. It will become a thing of the 去 (past) [きょ].

1 Like

For 録 :

The NSA theme song, “We Will 録 You”.

1 Like

I would really really love something like this. WK has great mnemonics, but sometimes there are certain kanji that I just get stuck on, or find easier to remember when looked at a different way.

If implemented into WK as a potential feature it could be like on Memrise how the community can create mnemonics to be selected from with up votes. (It could also be below the original WK mnemonics and have a turn off and on feature so that it wouldn’t take up space on the page for people who are uninterested.)

少女/おとめ

I oto get me a maiden.

Only took me a year and a half to stop getting tripped up by that one.

1 Like

来 (らい, come / next)

The mnemonics of this one isn’t bad. But Rice on the Ground immediately made me think of breadcrumbs as in Hansel & Gretel. Just that it’s rice (らい). That resonates better with me than predators who “come” for the rice-turned-“rye”.

You find a Rice corn on the Ground and you pick it up. It whispers “come” to you. But where is it that you should “come”? Then you see more Rice on the Ground, so you pick up the “next” Rice corn. It too whispers “come” to you, by now you’ve realised what’s going to happen “next”… it’s just weird that it’s rice (らい) and not breadcrumbs.

Isn’t 少女 normally read as しょうじょ though? Unless you read 源氏物語 or something. おとめ is usually 乙女, I think.

1 Like

Well, you’re correct. But it’s an alternative reading on the vocab page so I had always tried to remember it with 少女 since level 3.

The reading mnemonic for 乱 (Riot) sounds unnecessarily convoluted. (Who the heck is Macho Man Randy Savage?!) How about just “if a riot erupts around you, run (らん)”.

I’d be willing to bet Randy Savage is a wrestler, but personally my mnemonic is just plain “run riot”.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.