New Behavior for Extra Study Recent Mistakes

I’m pretty 100% certain that nothing you review in extra study has any affect on the “real” SRS scheduling. Only your real reviews affect when you’ll see an item again in your actual reviews.

Extra study is “out of band” so to speak.

I’m of the opinion that lots of extra, out-of-band iterations for early-stage items (apprentice 1 and 2) as fast as you can do them is quite valuable. Not mandatory, but helpful when you have time.

By the way: I prefer the self-study quiz userscript over extra-study, for a couple reasons:

1. I can explicitly review all my items currently in apprentice 1 and apprentice 2 (or 1-4) rather than anything at all that I missed in the last review, regardless what SRS stage it was in. (Or any other selection of items I choose.)

2. After working through all the items I chose to review, it’s trivial to immediately restart another self-study session for just the items you missed the prior iteration. Say is self-study 17 stage 1-2 items the first time, and get 5 wrong. I restart reviewing just those 5 and get 2 wrong again. Then I review just those two until I get both 100% correct. It’s more efficient than three iterations of all 17 items.

It’s literally “extra” and only needs to be part of your routine if you feel like your overall accuracy is suffering during your real review sessions (affecting your morale).

Reviewing a master/enlightened item just before your formal review is probably not optimal, but early stage apprentice items are always fair game. I consider reviews of late stage items “retention tests” and early stage items “recall practice”.

Seeing an answer just before a “retention test” is cheating (like students cheating by obtaining a copy of the test beforehand).

But additional “recall practice” iterations just help you cement something into your memory until they progress far enough in the SRS that you won’t see them again for a long while.

1 Like