Most recent Japanese word you've learned?

Those definitely have their own cursed vibe here. :thinking: I see why they have their own word

1 Like

I learned this one yesterday. 紳士/しんし/gentleman

4 Likes

蛸壺

4 Likes

不死鳥 - phoenix

Non+die+bird :open_mouth: TIL that phoenixes are immortal, all I knew was that they’re cool fire-birds

5 Likes

票稼ぎ - fishing for votes
渡り鳥 - migratory birds, but also bird migration as a phenomenon
仮眠 - power nap
史料館 - archives (building)

EDIT: Some extras since I’m doing research for questions about 伝統的な行事 in Tobira :stuck_out_tongue:
冬至 - winter solstice
夏至 - summer solstice

3 Likes

基礎 きそ foundation; basis
There’s so many words meaning “foundation” TT
I found this one in the table of contents of a science manual (-> 基礎操作)and apparently it can also be used to talk about the base of a house

1 Like

Sounds like something that would go well with:
土台石 - cornerstone

1 Like

I have a lot after reading the 半沢直樹(はんざわなおき) novels- but the five that mainly stand out are

浮世離(うきよばな)れ ー detachment from the real world (Use it when someone is daydreaming and lost in thoughts)

縁もゆかりもない ー no connection whatsoever

苦虫を噛み潰したようー making a sour expression

いざとなったらー when push comes to shove

生計を立てるー to make a living

単刀直入(たんとうちょくにゅう)ー straight to the point

1 Like

I didn’t know this one, thanks! Learning Japanese is going to make me a construction expert

I actually started watching Hanzawa Naoki after seeing one of your posts about it and it’s been really helpful to learn business-related vocab!

猫の額

used as in “as small as a cat’s forehead” – an expression that powerfully made me wish I had a cat nearby.

7 Likes

Sounds like a plan! :smiley:
Here’s another one:
石畳 - cobblestones, paving stones (type of street/road pavement)

I usually find words related to biology like:
抗原 - antigen
抗体 - antibody

4 Likes

Someone has been reading the latest NHK News Easy I see

2 Likes

どのようにこの言葉「猫の額」を使いますか。:smiley:

well, all I know is I saw it used as in 猫の額ほどのX to emphasize the smallness of an area of land.

Here’s the full context (from 車井戸はなぜ軋る by 横溝正史)

昭和二十年八月、戦争がおわると間もなく、伍一の姉のおりんが町からかえってきた。おりんはすでに三十五になっていたが、まだ独身で、戦争中ちかくの町の軍需工場で、炊事婦みたいなことをやっていたが、敗戦と同時に職からはなれ、村へかえって来ると、牛小屋みたいな家へ住み、猫の額ほどの田圃や畑を作り出した。

So the fields she’s farming after returning to the village are “as small as a cat’s forehead”

3 Likes

敵前逃亡てきぜんとうぼう - desertion in the face of the enemy, deserting under enemy fire

Escaping (逃) death (亡) in front of (前) the enemy (敵).
Another way I like to translate it is that escaping/running away (逃) in front of (前) the enemy (敵) back in old times may have been an act that warranted punishment by death (亡).

3 Likes

I want to say “yes”, but most of my words come from dictionary searches or research for textbook questions :smiley: . When I have problems remembering a kanji, I just look up useful words and splice them into Anki sets.

抗 originally came up in 抗生物質 (antibiotic) for me. Did this one appear in the latest articles, too? :smiley:

1 Like

屋台 (やたい)Market stall like you’d find at matsuri or on street selling food, merch. or similar. :smiley:

3 Likes

クースバンブス - Goosebumps series by R.L. Stine. I was looking for books I enjoyed as a kid to see if any got translated in Japanese. :purple_heart:

2 Likes

ゆび - finger
picked it up watching jujutsu kaisen

4 Likes

I learned a useful word today: 視野(しや)one’s outlook (e.g. on life); one’s horizons

Which can be used like: 視野が広がった↔️視野が狭くなった

2 Likes