More leniency on vocabulary words

When I’m doing reviews on WaniKani, my very first instinct is to use an on’yomi reading for a vocabulary word, specifically, 力 (ちから)、and I get marked wrong although I am correct overall, but it’s not the answer the review is looking for. Shouldn’t reviews use the same method as accidentally giving the kun’yomi reading instead of the on’yomi when reading kanji, like shaking the answer box and giving a notification? When I get to the point where I begin to burn this reading, life is gonna suck lol

1 Like

ちから is a possible reading for the kanji, so that’s why you get a shake. You can’t call that answer incorrect on a kanji review, because kanji will take on’yomi or kun’yomi depending on the situation.

But りき etc are never correct for the actual vocab word 力, because ちから is simply what the word is in Japanese. WK can’t claim a native will know what you’re saying if you use on’yomi for words that are kun’yomi. Vocab has to be reinforced as vocab.

19 Likes

Because of this, there are vocab items.
There are variations so you have to know them, not to guess them.

1 Like

You can compare kanji to English word roots. Like so if I asked you to give me the root for ‘water’ and you said ‘hydro’ I might say that I was looking for ‘aqua’ instead. It’s not that you were wrong - it just wasn’t what I was looking for.

But if you went up to me and said, “I would like a glass of hydro.” Now that’s just wrong mate.

16 Likes

No. こう, for example, is not a reading for the word 口, it’s くち, and to accept that as correct would be incorrect. WK shouldn’t reinforce wrong answers to make things convenient. What’s the point of learning the language if you are learning and reinforcing incorrect information?

Just because kanji can have multiple readings doesn’t mean all those readings are all valid for words.

1 Like

I agree with most that vocabulary items shouldn’t get the shake like kanji items do, since the word only has one reading.

Still, as a newbie, I wish that it was a little more obvious when I’m rolling through a review. I don’t always catch the color change and haven’t had what the three colors signify tattooed in my brain yet. The majority of my misses so far have been because I didn’t realize that WK swapped from kanji to vocabulary (or even radicals in some cases.) It would be cool if they could put up a visual aid during the kun’yomi part of the quiz. Maybe they could change the font color to something other than white for a vocab item to really make it stick that it is different.

Or maybe I should be quiet and see if purple means something to me in 10 levels. In any case, WK has been great so far. :smiley:

2 Likes

It will, don’t you worry! It took me until about level 5 to not even notice when it’s asking for Japanese or English, just start typing automatically from the colour of the input bar .

Also, my feeling is that one-kanji vocab starts to get a bit less common as you get to higher levels, so the problem becomes less acute (although maybe it gets worse again later?).

In addition to the color, there is a rather large “Vocabulary Reading” label in the middle of the screen.Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 10.17.23

Also, the text size for vocab reviews is always smaller than the text size for a kanji review.

It takes some getting time to get used to recognizing the indications that WK is expecting a vocab and not a kanji, but if you slow down a bit I think it’ll become clear pretty quickly. With color differences, obvious labeling, and different font sizes already in place, I’m not sure how WK could make it any more clear what it’s asking for without being obnoxious about it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.