Master's degree to be a Japanese translator

I’m not sure about Japanese literature, but I’ve seen stuff on https://core.ac.uk about Japanese grammar. Honestly though, if you can think of the keywords to search in Japanese, you can just try your luck and look out for university websites. I think the study I read on modern ば usage was from Hiroshima University, for example.

Yes. Almost all monolingual dictionaries provide some. The one which has a dedicated example sentence section is Goo辞書.

For 字(あざ), however, I can’t find anything on those dictionaries in the way of examples. You might have to try a corpus. I don’t usually use those, however… @rodan, sorry for tagging you out of the blue, but could you give us the name (or a link) to the usage corpus you’ve referred to in the Short Grammar Questions thread previously? I think you used it the time we were discussing how 故(ゆえ)is used. The keywords in the side bar are green, I believe.

Yeah, I understand. It doesn’t come naturally to me to formulate the sentence like that either. Learning how they work shouldn’t be that difficult, however. You might have to try novels or perhaps read the news to get that? There are a few sentences like that in the first few pages of Volume 18 of The Rising of the Shield Hero, for instance, like this one:

I mean, it’s not that unnatural, and probably easier to think of than the example you just raised, but when I first tried to tackle this sentence, I was really surprised by how many embedded relative clauses there were. English and Spanish both put relative clauses after nouns, so it was hard to get used to initially.

1 Like