Make Reading its own section

That really does depend on the design of the subcategories though. I get that people who don’t follow the book clubs just want them out of the Japanese Language category. But for those of us that care about the book clubs a lot, the structure matters. And I think any good structure would likely require a lot of manual moves to make sure everything is in the right subcategory.

5 Likes

Yes, giving audio media, games and anime/tv media their own subcategories could be very helpful outside of differentiating between beginner, intermediate and advanced for reading clubs.

It just makes sense from a search/browsing perspective I feel. And might inspire to a wider variety of discussion clubs around Japanese media as well. ^^

2 Likes

Heya! This is a good question. We’ll talk about it as a team and see what we think about making a new section of the forum that would be devoted to book club content only. We’ll get back to you after that!

18 Likes

If you decide to add the new category in some form, please make sure to get opinions from the community on how to organize the subcategories!

9 Likes

I second this opinion for sure. ^>^

3 Likes

@Mods

Any update on this topic?

1 Like

No updates yet but we’ll be sure to let you know once we decide!

2 Likes

Never participated in one of these and probably never will, but given their popularity this seems like a no-brainer, honestly…

2 Likes

I don’t know if this is still being discussed, but I wanted to follow up with my current thoughts on this. Due to a bug on the forums with muting the Reading subcategory (I sent an email with the details) I recently did a lot of poking around with how Latest pages, subcategories, and muting subcategories works. During this I realized that we don’t need a complicated solution to have the best of both worlds, so that people who love book clubs and people who want to ignore book clubs can all be happy.

Rather than making Reading its own top-level category and having to figure out the best structure for subcategories, by far the simplest approach would be to make a dedicated Book Clubs subcategory, which is still a part of the #japanese-language category. This is the smallest possible change to make, and I think everyone will be happy (so long as muting this new subcategory properly hides these topics from Latest @Raionus :joy:). I think this is the best approach (if you decide to make a change at all) because it’s the simplest. After all, it’s always possible to make more changes later if you want.

7 Likes

Even the smallest change requireth centuries to be decided

2 Likes

They clearly decided not to change it. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

4 Likes

Thanks for all the follow-ups and waiting for a billion years for this. Here it is: Book Clubs - WaniKani Community

We’ll move over some of the current ones throughout the next few days…

16 Likes

So this would only work if we moved the current threads out of Reading sub to the new sub, correct? The muting issue.

2 Likes

I think you followed my suggestion by adding the Book Clubs subcategory underneath the Japanese Language category. So this should fix the muting issue for people that want to mute book clubs but not other reading topics.

By the way, if you haven’t already, please make sure to set the default close time to 10 years instead of 1 year for all topics in the Book Clubs subcategory, just like it currently is for Reading.

11 Likes

All set :+1:

12 Likes

Considering Regulars can move threads too, is it worth making a list of what needs to be moved and divvying them up?

Or we could just leave it to the ones who get paid to do this sort of thing… :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

If @JenK makes me a Regular I’ll move all mine. :upside_down_face:

Shame it’s nearly impossible to become a Regular without wasting time in Campfire.

9 Likes

If you created the board, you can move it without being a Regular. I moved all of my Takagi-san boards; they just have to move the original start of the club since I only run the spin-off.

Never happened. :wink:

4 Likes

Shh! Don’t ruin it!

6 Likes