Living during the state of emergency in Japan

As you may have already heard Japan is announcing a state of emergency in 7 prefecutres.

There is a detailed page describing what state of emergecy actualy means for the everyday life.

I would like to welcome everyone who wants to participate in reading, translating, and discussing this information.

4 Likes

I’ll try starting the translation. Please let me know if you notice mistakes in my translation.

「緊急事態宣言」によって、都道府県知事は、住民に対して期間と地域を定めた上で不要不急の外出を自粛するよう「要請」できるほか、施設の使用制限や停止を「要請」できるようになります。

Under the “State of Emergency” prefectural governers, within the decided period and territory, gain the power to demand from the citizens to restrain themselves from non-essential going out, as well as demand restriction on use and/or shutting down of establishments.

一方で、政府は、日本の「緊急事態宣言」は強制力のある措置は限られ、海外のような「ロックダウン」=「都市封鎖」ではないとしています。

On the other hand, the government is taking care to limit the legal measures of the Japanese State of Emergency and not let it become like the “Lockdown” aboroad.

今回出された「緊急事態宣言」によって、私たちの生活や社会活動はどうなるのでしょうか。

Now, what our lives will look like under the State of Emergency?

東京都が事前に公表した「緊急事態措置」案

The plan of State of Emergency Measures announced in advance by the Tokyo Metroplitan Area

政府が法律に基づく「緊急事態宣言」を出した場合に東京都がとる措置の方針案です。

This is a plan for measures in Tokyo metroplitan area in case governemnt legally proclaims the State of Emergency.

次の施設は基本的に休業を要請

The following estabilishmens are requested to suspend their business. (Note: not sure how 基本的 fits here…)

次の施設は基本的に休業を要請するとしています。

The following estabilishmens are requested to suspend their business.

大学や学習塾、自動車教習所などの教育施設

Universities, cram schools, driving schools, and other educational
institutions

体育館や水泳場、ボーリング場、スケート場、ゴルフ練習場、バッティング練習場、スポーツクラブなどの運動施設や遊技場

Gyms, swimming pools, bowling alleys, skating rings, golf courses, batting centres, sports clubs and other training and game facilities

映画館やライブハウス、演芸場といった劇場など

Movie theaters, concert and entertainment halls and other theaters

公会堂や博物館、美術館、図書館など集会や展示に関する施設

Town halls, museums, art galleries, libraries, and other establishments related to public gathering and exhibitions

キャバレーやナイトクラブ、ダンスホール、バー、個室ビデオ店、ネットカフェ、漫画喫茶、カラオケ店、マージャン店、パチンコ店、ゲームセンターといった娯楽施設など

Cabarets, night clubs, dance halls, bars, private room video stores (Note: what is that?! :astonished:), internet cafes, manga cafes, karaoke clubs, majong parlors, pachinko parlors, game cneters and other entertainment establishments.

また、商業施設については、デパートやショッピングモール、ホームセンターなどについては食品や医薬品など生活に欠かせないものを販売する売り場は除いて休業を要請します。

In addition, shopping establishments, including department centers and shopping malls, home centers (hardware stores?) are requsted to shut down, except for the places that sell food products, medicine, and other goods essentials for daily life.

一方、床面積が100平方メートル以下の小規模の店舗については、感染防止対策を実施した上での営業を要請します。

On the other hand, small scale shops with the area below 100 square meters are requested to put inplace anit-infection measures and continue operating.

I think this is more like “in a State of Emergency, legally enforceable measures available to the government are limited, which means it is not a ‘Lockdown’ akin to overseas”

There is a (NSFW) wikipedia article on this maybe you can already imagine what it’s about

1 Like

in a State of Emergency, legally enforceable measures available to the government are limited, which means it is not a ‘Lockdown’ akin to overseas

Yeah, this sounds so much better :slight_smile:

It’s not like anyone could see my screen now during the self-isolation :laughing:
But yeah, it’s appears my guess wasn’t far off.

1 Like