Level Texts using WK levels

Probably

1 Like

太字 just learned it !!! yay

Thanks everyone !! neat resources.

Also I use: http://www.tangoristo.com/. An awesome app for Android and Apple phones that gathers the news from NHK Easy News, but you can organize the articles depending on the levels on JLPT.
There are plenty of these, but this one won the rest by lots of features. In fact, he’s very responsive and changes stuff in no time from suggestions.

Levels on JLPT are too general. He’s apparently working on kanken and other levels (wouldn’t it be awesome to have WK levels there too?).

You can filter on which levels you want the furigana to be hidden which is good when you are starting. Not so good after JLPT 4… but well.

Also, a lot of words are not recognized or leveled… so you can find 日本 to have no level… which is stupid.

1 Like

I feel like the main problem with Satori Reader is that the articles are all at a similar level of difficulty which turns out to be a little too high for me to read without a bit of struggle mostly due to my kanji/vocabulary weakness. There’s a difficulty rating system onsite, but since it’s only judged by site users, there’s no way to tell what it actually means. Most of the articles are rated between 2.8 and 3.5 which I think is on a scale of 1-5, though that’s not clear. One is asked to rate each article one reads on a scale of “too easy” to “too hard”.

It would be a much more useful site if they actually were organized more like a graded reader. You can sync with your Wanikani level, but that only determines how many kanji they show you. I subscribed for a year, but found I didn’t use it as much as I’d hoped. Ironically, at the time by subscription lapses, I may be at a vocab level to read the stories more easily.

And I’ve heard from others that once you’re past the level they publish, all the articles are too easy.

1 Like

I agree about the rating system, I feel as if it shouldn’t be subjective to the users, just because everyone will be at a different level of reading comprehension, yet their ratings carry the same weight. For example, a beginner may rate an article harder than a more intermediate-advanced level will

I also agree that there should be a variety of levels covered by the articles, for the time being it appears to be best geared towards those bridging the gap from beginner → intermediate in terms of learning, and also good reading practice for those already in the intermediate range

Granted, it’s a relatively new site and they’re constantly adding articles, so hopefully in the near future they’ll implement more articles ranging from beginner-friendly to advanced

I myself got a three-month subscription from their Black Friday sale, so it’s been helpful for me thus far as I’ve been strengthening my grammar knowledge, but it really just depends on the individual in the end in terms of usefulness for the current stage the site is at :thinking:

1 Like

I think it’s worth checking out the free content on Satori Reader, at least. It’s a fantastic idea, even if the execution is a bit lacking, so if you find it to be about the right level for you it works well.

The user-rated difficulty settings are dumb dumb dumb and give you no information whatsoever. I don’t understand how anybody thought that was going to give a useful metric of how difficult an article is.

Also, there’s an inbuilt SRS which is so badly executed that it’s a tragedy and would have been better left out. I got so excited by that feature and the reality was a crushing disappointment.

I would also say that it’s not really equivalent to a ‘WaniKani graded reader’. Yes, you can toggle the kanji/furigana based on your WK level, but it’s not like it’s designed to be used with WK. A true version would specifically set out to use the kanji you’ve learnt through WK, so it would avoid words you haven’t learnt yet where possible and actively try to include those you have. We can but dream…

2 Likes

Another vote here for using Satori Reader purely for reading practice. The inline annotations are great, the WK integration is good for building reading speed, and the articles are short enough that they can be read while at lunch or on a bus ride or something, while still leaving time for WK reviews.

I do feel that it’s a stepping stone, though: once you can read through a series without much difficulty, it’ll be time to move on to other resources, but it’s a great way to bridge the gap between “I know a bunch of words and grammar rules” and “wow, I’m actually reading Japanese”.

Yep, that’s how I felt, too. It’s impossible to intuitively figure out how its linking is expected to work, even if it’s a great idea in theory (and one that Jalup NEXT seems to have gotten right).

Super excited to use satori reader. Glad I found it

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.