~Level 7 Leaderboard Group

Holy… I just started using Anki and I am already in love with it…

2 Likes

I prefer Torii, but thats just probably because i was too lazy to set up an Anki deck in the right way. Torii has a better interface IMO, and you dont need to change so many options.

2 Likes

I just tried something random out and I am in love with it, though my pronounciation and reading abilities in Japanese is… well very bad :rofl:

I’ll check out Torii in a bit aswell :smiley:

2 Likes

Kitsun.io is another great alternative.

To sumarize:

Torii - Easy to adjust and cheap, i like that it has options that are complementary to WK.
Anki - Most used, a lot of great decks. Interface is boring.
Kitsun - A better Anki with way better interface, but more expensive. The owner is a really cool guy and keeps updating the plataform. You can register for a 7 days trial aswell.

2 Likes

Thank you a lot! I really appreciate your posts! I´ll be sure to try them out and see what suits me the best!

2 Likes

So after seeing it popping up a couple times and being intrigued I’ve given jalup a go.
Not for me.
It started with the tutorials - oh the tutorials. They’re so unnecessary verbose and repeat the same stuff over and over that they made me want to ragequit on several occasions. :rage:
Toughed it out.
Next the usability is unnecessarily confusing. Things like, hey here’s how to read that kanji but don’t look yet, you’ll need that later. Well why don’t you just hide it then? :sweat_smile:
So this makes it basically the Heisig method in disguise - which is fine, but I’ve got actual Heisig books to learn from if I feel like it - plus I actually like learning readings and vocab alongside the Kanji - even after half a dozen levels I’m starting to pick up quite a few new words when I listen to Japanese conversations. :kissing_heart:
Then it went ahead to claim you’re gonna learn Japanese without translating the meanings to english… only to just give you the english meanings to learn in a roundabout way. I’m calling your bluff jalup! :lying_face:
Lastly the price tag… yeah… no. :money_mouth_face:

1 Like

I’ve got my first trial lesson on iTalki tomorrow morning and I’m terrified :see_no_evil: I find it so hard to compose my own sentences, especially when I don’t have tons of time to think about it… wish me luck :upside_down_face:

On the bright side - I have gotten some of my first burns today! I forgot I had installed a fanfare script months ago and the loud cheering scared me :joy:

7 Likes

Yay! So excited for you! Good luck. I think you’re going to really enjoy it. You might be nervous at the beginning, but that will ease within the first few minutes. Honest!

2 Likes

I’m assuming this was Kanji Kingdom? :thinking: I don’t use that either, we’re all here because we like WK.
I exclusively promote Jalup Main :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Yeaaah, no. You probably just misunderstood.
The first 1000 cards start out introducing new concepts in english, because you need english to understand the basics of grammar. You can’t just start out with only Japanese. While it does not provide entire english translations, you could cobble together the meaning by pressing each part of the sentence. But that’s sort of the point, setting you up for J⟷J branching.
The following 6000 cards are in Japanese only.

It’s obviously not going to be for everyone, I am glad that you had basically no critique for the primary product of Jalup though 3x-2

Other than the steep price tag :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

Good luck! I’m sure it will be amazing :slight_smile: let us know how you get on :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Congrats @moribund on level 7!!!

2 Likes

Yeah, in fairness I’ve taken a bit of a look at the first few cards of intermediate to see how the J<->J works and it does look decent! I’m just broke until I find out if a pet insurance claim has been accepted so I can’t afford it haha.

1 Like

I haven’t tried anything post Kanji in Jalup - basically for the same reason I started learning Japanese in earnest with WaniKani after trying things like memrise and quickly discovering that you kinda need Kanji to read Japanese.
I don’t like the idea of looking up every Kanji when you encounter it in a text and trying to remember it by visual memory only.
What made sense to me with Heisig and WaniKani is the recognition of radicals / primitives and then mnemonics for the Kanji. That way I find the Kanji recognition works out way more accurate - especially when you stumble over a different font that makes Kanji look different from when you saw it during learning sessions.

I plan to apply the Kanji / vocabs from WaniKani to things like Satori reader later on - which seems to me a bit more pleasant to use than Jalup.

Thanks for the tips though. I’ve already stumbled upon interesting learning opportunities thanks to such tips from the WK community. Doesn’t matter if some of them don’t turn up to be my cup of tea.

1 Like

I just finished it and it was really fun! My speaking skills are about as terrible as I estimated though :see_no_evil: Still, my teacher was super friendly and kept the conversation going despite my one word answers lol.

I was pretty happy with the fact that I understood the vast majority of what she said (she spoke exclusively in japanese unless I asked her to translate) so at least there’s that :smile: And I’m now extra motivated to practise making my own sentences so that I can take a more active part in our conversation next time!

6 Likes

Yay! That’s sounds really promising :slight_smile: I’m sure your speaking skills will get better - just takes practice! Was it a conversation session you were doing or were you following a lesson? Do you think you’ll do more with that teacher?

1 Like

Hello! I am still early in my journey in WK, but decided to join this leaderboard. It should help me stay motivated :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Thanks for noticing! I will add you as well. :innocent:

1 Like

Thats amazin!!! I realized that too, i understood most of what sensei said, but when was my time to form phrases it was kinda of a disaster.

I currently have 2 senseis. One is way more cheaper, for conversation only. I will schedule 3-5x classes a month. Around 5U$ for 45min.

The other will guide me throiugh minna no nihongo series. This one i will probably book 1 or 2 classes a month. Around 15U$ for 30min!! (Thats JALUP territory expensive). But i think this one will help me keeping some kinda of grammar progression. This way i force myself to learn grammar with books, which I don’t really like right now.

3 Likes

This price is mind-boggling. How does this person make any money teaching on italki? You have to imagine that italki takes some of that $5 cut too, unless italki pays the teacher a little extra on the backend for offering such a low price.

1 Like

But they’re usually not professional teachers, and they usually only do conversation classes.

About the italki share, i dont know how it does work, but to both of the teachers ill pay w/o using italki from now on, via direct transfer. And both of them said they prefer classes via skype. So i guess they prefer to do it outside of italki