~Level 7 Leaderboard Group

I’m not gonna argue Jalup isn’t expensive, buut… I wish I had just stuck with Jalup from the start :see_no_evil:
I spent so much money on textbooks, audio courses, practice books and apps (including bunpro) 3x
Turns out the only thing that really worked for me was Jalup… 3x-2

… :'D

1 Like

I might be the odd person out, I’m located in Eastern Canada, land of maple syrup and poutine :maple_leaf: :fries:

I just started studying in October, while the kanji has been going well (I’m really surprised with myself, wasn’t sure I’d be able to pull it off) the grammar is a lot slower. I picked up a subscription to Bunpro and trying to force myself to study with Tae Kim’s Guide and Genki.

@GrumpyPanda Jalup looks intriguing, do you find it better than Bunpro?

8 Likes

What a set up! I think even from another country I can hear @GrumpyPanda weeping in joy at such a perfect opening to talk up Jalup :joy:

6 Likes

If anyone can fetch me the discord link I would appreciate it…

I just did the first lesson in JFZ 1 well It was easy but it was some good practice atleast
Though I don’t get this thing with Jalup… but all I know is that @GrumpyPanda is married with Jalup…

1 Like

:grin: :grin:

3 Likes

Ohhh! So that’s what I was hearing!

4 Likes

:^) thank you

2 Likes

:sweat_smile: I opened up a can of worms didn’t I?

5 Likes

Gateway directly to hell*

3 Likes

3 Likes

Personally, I would like Bunpro way better if the example sentences didn’t use so many different vocab terms. Actually reading and understanding each sentence is pretty tedious if there is vocab you don’t know, especially with the higher level grammar points. (And there’s really no reason to practice your vocab on bunpro :see_no_evil: )
At some point I’m like “Welp, have to get these 30 reviews done real quick” and I’m not gonna bother with actually reading and understanding each sentence. If you’re the same, I believe Bunpro is not ideal for you.

Personally I like the structure you have with Jalup. Do X cards/day, every card introduces one new element tops. Mostly it’s just the convenience.
Does it work?
For reading? Yes. Definitely. If you see the grammar in the wild, you understand it. Reading becomes pretty easy. (No surprise after reading thousands of sentences that are just beyond your current ability)
For production? Not on it’s own. You either need a ton of immersion/shadowing or actively practice on smthg like italki.
Can’t really say much about the Japanese only studies yet, because I’ve only just started that part.

He wasn’t in on it, I promise… 3x

@Diamond_Dust Take your money and run 3x

2 Likes

It’s like grammar, you’ll need a couple days of exposure to this thread to understand :D

2 Likes

I have actually really found this with myself with bunpro. I end up just looking at the blanks and not paying attention to the sentence really.

1 Like

I used to do that aswell, but i realized is better to read every sentence outloud. I have like 10-20 reviews each day, which takes around 10min total, so its been really helpful. But by itself it does not work, im always using YT + Dictionary of Basic Grammar or the suggestions from Bunpro. Its working fine until now. Most days i dont add grammar points though (since i dont use any of the books suggested, the order is really a problem for me).

I will try Jalup once again i guess, i did not found it good when i tried before. I guess the free deck was really easy and did not helped me at that time…

1 Like

The italki lesson today was so cool! From the start he asked me to introduce myself in japanese. We talked most of the 30min in japanese, even though i was SO FREAKING SLOW and asked him to repeat multiple times… He also wrote in chat everything i asked or said wrong…So good! And 5U$ For 45min is a really good price!

The guy is a true otaku, saw more than 600 animes! So it was really cool to talk about animes!

5 Likes

That sounds amazing! Well done!

1 Like

Yikes, when I got to level 3 yesterday I instantly got over 100 lessons. This is going to be a pain to get down.

4 Likes

Yes, very much agree with that! Actually seeing the grammar in context is where these grammar platforms shine. I also love shadowing sentences until I get the pronunciation right.
Personally I just couldn’t get myself to do that with Bunpro :see_no_evil:

Yeah, if you’re already N5’ish the first 100 cards are going to be very basic.
Also, I don’t believe Jalup is for everyone, it just fits me and my learning goals very well.
Glad you feel like giving it another try though 3x-2

That sounds really nice!

1 Like

That sounds great! I’m a bit shy to try italki right now, plus I feel like I wouldn’t be able to hold much of a conversation at the moment. I feel like the only “speaking” I’m ready to do is karaoke :rofl: starts singing Fly High by Burnout Syndromes :musical_note:

If you want to try practicing with another Otaku, I’ve heard good things about Yuki aka Anime Sensei. I found out about him through an Airbnb online experience and wow has he watched a lot of anime.

3 Likes

You got this! One day at a time! The start of each level is daunting but you’ll get the hang of it in a few levels. Experiment with some lessons; like 10 lessons a day, 20 a day and youll soon see how things will work! Good luck. We’re here with you

1 Like