~Level 7 Leaderboard Group

That depends on how much you like Jalup. 3x-1
Just kidding, we’re all study buddies here. That’s sort of the point of this thread.

How tight we’ll be seriously depends on how much you like Jalup though. 3x-1

4 Likes

I must be the only one from South America…

You don’t need to wait until lv10! The sooner you start grammar the better! And JPZ book 1 is really easy, it does not teach a lot though

3 Likes

I’m losing it right now! :joy: :rofl: :rofl:

@Hashiraa Ditto Grumpy! This is a fun, supportive thread. @neversleep also created a group Discord server, and Grumpy linked it in a previous post!

1 Like

What book should I invest in? I’ve heard a lot about Genki, apparently it’s really good.

I can only say simple sentences like 僕は日本語の学生です
I’m not so good when it comes to picking material, this is my first time self-studying…

3 Likes

You know, I’m having a really hard time holding back here. 3x

3 Likes

Did you already checked those threads?

About which book to choose… I really only know Genki/Minna no Nihongo and Japanese From zero books.
But for what ive been reading and watching videos:

1 - Genki is the one with more outside resources - its supposed to be better to do with a partner. Has a lot of video lessons on youtube if you want some visual. Has a good pace and is not so hard. There is a lot of websites that have aditional conjugation and grammar drills and stuff…

2 - Japanese From Zero - is the easiest one, thats why its called “from zero”, has oficial videos on the youtube channel that are pretty easy to follow, and the guy is really funny. For me is the more “self-study” book of all, but ive been struggling (bored) to keep it up.

3 - Minna no Nihongo - teaches a lot of cultural aspects, its ALL japanese, but it does have supplementary books in almost every language, explaining the grammar.
I think this is best with a tutor. It also has a lot of youtube videos for each lesson (not official).

I did Japanese From Zero book 1 in less than 1 month, i think it really helped me understading japanese, but at the same time, the book 2 is kinda boring and repetitive, so im actually thinking about using another book from now on. (MinnaNoNihongo probably, since i have a tutor that prefer it)

PS: Jalup is supposed to be a good grammar learning method if you have the money. its so freaking expensive though

Be sure to check out https://www.bunpro.jp/

Price is so much better than Jalup

4 Likes

Have you considered starting a Jalup cult thread?

1 Like

For some reason WaniKanians simply love their 10k decks, I don’t think it would work 3x-2

1 Like

Thank you so much! I’ll be sure to finish Japanese From Zero first and then I will take a look at Minna no Nihongo. I’ve already seen those threads but I wanted to know your opinion!

I’m excited to learn Japanese honestly!

@GrumpyPanda You really seem to talk about Jalup… and apparently it is expensive… that means…
we can’t be friends anymore I am sorry to end it here.

(kídding)

4 Likes

Its so hard to keep up with those anki/kitsun decks. I think its much easier with sentences, nevertheless, im still using Torii daily.

1 Like

Just in case you aren’t on the Discord. (Doing minna no nihongo without a teacher is brutal
:see_no_evil: )

2 Likes

I live in Brazil, so for me is REALLY expensive with the conversion rates. Maybe for you is more affordable. You can check it out for free in the begining, perhaps this way you’ll guys can still be friends? Bunpro folks are way more smooth though

1 Like

Minna No Nihongo is Jalup approved! :+1: :+1:

Agreed! I think Genki would be much more appropriate for self-study.

2 Likes

I did warn him! NO english in the main book. Be sure to check it out before buying!! And its really expensive too, with the suplementary books (there is like a lot, but the grammar one is the only one you really will need imo)

still cheaper than jalup though

2 Likes

I have italki lesson now! wish me luck guys, i tried one teacher yesterday, now will try another one!

6 Likes

@GrumpyPanda @Edzin Don’t worry I am also poor, and good luck with your Italki lesson!

I used Genki I and II and I really liked them. I did have a class I attended that used them but in all honesty most of what I learned was from self studying them and I thought it went pretty well. I also had the workbook to help with extra practice. I guess in the end its probably just preference, but I definitely liked having a physical book & workbook. Writing (imo) really helped me get that kana/kanji 100% into memory as well.

1 Like

Im in GMT+5 rn so not too bad honestly. We should be fine! I’ll join you all on discord. Any platform is fine honestly. I’ve tried よつばと but it killed me so i think i’ll give it another go around you guys.

Finished Genk1. Started 2 but stopped so I wouldn’t count that. That and WK.
I second @Edzin’s suggestion! If you have time rn, start some grammar! (any book that works for you. Lots of suggestions that edzin mentioned) I found that WK (the first 10 levels) had most fo the kanji from Genki 1 and it worked quite well to do them together. For Genki 1, there is also a youtuber who goes through each chapter of the book. If you start with that, lmk and I can link that to you channel. Haven’t tried listening but apparently he’s helpful?

Jeezus you didn’t have to kill @GrumpyPanda. He’s not gonna be getting a commission this month

4 Likes

My class is using Japanese for Busy People which tbh I probably wouldn’t recommend as it uses no kanji. However just chiming in to say that I agree that handwriting the homework exercises we’ve been given really is helping things sink in for me. It’s making me tempted to go back through the levels so far and start learning to handwrite the kanji I’ve learned…

3 Likes

Another European here! Welcome :slight_smile:

2 Likes