Level 7! I love WaniKani, but ... tips ... other apps?

I’m only at level 3, but knew about 300 kanji before starting and studied Japanese for a good time before that off and on. Last year I started taking classes again, but they don’t go over Kanji so I thought WK would be a good supplement to that. Classes have helped me stay the course and finally make progress. I admire those that can stick with self studying, especially if they work full-time. WK should help with that. It definitely helps me focus on studying more outside of class.

As for other apps, the most popular ones are Bunpro, LingoDeer (most people recommend this over DuoLingo) and Anki. I currently am trying Bunpro, but I feel that it’s only a little helpful for me. If you aren’t taking classes then it might be more useful. It provides a lot of outside sources to learn the grammar which is good. LingoDeer is more comprehensive teaching which is interesting. With Anki you can download decks or create your own to study SRS style. Other options are getting textbooks. Genki is one of the most popular ones and my recommendation. Tae Kim’s guide, Japanese From Zero, Japanese for Busy People and Minna No Nihongo are other popular options. Ultimately it’s about doing what you can and using the resources that are most helpful to you. I recommend trying out a few and seeing which one makes the most sense.

2 Likes

I’m level 7 too, and already feeling overwhelm by the number of vocabulary which constructed using multiple kanji :sweat_smile: I also use KaniWani and KameSame to reproduce the kanji. BunPro and Renshuu to learn grammar, JapanesePod101 for listening, and Japanese Graded Readers for reading.

I’ve used LingoDeer and Memrise before, but that was a total waste of time. From my experience, it’s best using BunPro. WK + BP are the best investments I ever made for studying Japanese.

1 Like

Thanks! I often listen to Japanesepod101 on YouTube, and also sometimes JapaneseAmmo. Are you studying for the JLPT this year?

I’m just really happy with WaniKani so far. But I almost never use the suggested learning story … its koichi this, koichi that, hard gay?, etc. I am almost always able to come up with a better story for memorizing. For example the older sister, 姉, shi goes to the city. If I had to send one of my daughters to the city for something, it would be the older sister. Some vocabulary reject an easy mnemonic, such as 活用。 How is conjugation a lively task? :slight_smile:

-Robert

Yes, I’m studying for JLPT but I’m not going to take it this year. I had finished N5 grammars but waiting to get more accuracy on BunPro and finish all N4 grammar first.

I think doing kanji and grammar at the same time is a good approach. I used to tackle kanji first but I didn’t see any good progress. I paid WK not for the kanji, but the vocabulary words. I think it’s the most important feature that WK has. Many people I know are waiting to be level 10 to get their feet wet on N5 grammar, but I feel that is going too slow.

You can always use your own mnemonics instead of using koichi everytime :sweat_smile:
I laugh hard when 活用 came out, I’ve been struggling for that too :joy:

1 Like

I know this sounds crazy, but I want to take the JLPT 3 in December. I think I might be able to pass … barely, if I study almost every day.

Have you tried iTalki?

I don’t think I will pass :sweat_smile:
Currently I’m struggling with N4 grammar.

No I haven’t tried iTalki. I have tried Japatalk before, but it didn’t work.
I think I’ll wait at least N4.

1 Like

I’m all about Lingodeer right now.

It’s by no means a perfect resource, but it has that fun, gamified feel that lots of language apps have, except it’s designed specifically for Asian languages. I’ve found that I can be totally burned out for the day with the more serious Japanese resources out there, yet I’ll always have the energy to hop on Lingodeer and blast through some vocab or grammar reviews or something like that. It also introduces some more difficult kanji early on, which can make later wanikani levels (5-20, maybe?) a bit easier.

Basically, it’s the app I use to keep practicing Japanese after I feel like I’m “done learning Japanese” for the day. It gets me maybe 30 minutes to an hour of extra practice a day.

From what I’ve heard, it also extends into JLPT 3 territory, which is nice. If you like the app, you can use it for some light practice well into your life as a Japanese learner.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.