Let’s climb Tokyo Skytree - level 60 in autumn 2023

welcome to the skytree! you’re already 2/3 of the way up, you’re going to manage easily!

7 Likes

First observation deck! I’m pretty hyped, I gotta say

15 Likes

I’m not sure about easy by anyone’s standards :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

Spent way too long napping on that observation deck but finally free of it. Better hustle if I wanna make it. It’s not like I have a life or anything to be hurt by hundreds of reviews every day anyway, those leeches can’t kill me in any way that matters.

20 Likes

I am up to level 54! :woman_climbing:

Only three weeks to go now, starting fantasise about how I’ll use the extra time I’d usually spend on WaniKani. And the view at the top of the tower of course! :night_with_stars:

15 Likes

I’m a little depressed.
There are 411 days left until the deadline, and I have 39 levels to go…
So I would need to start clearing a level every 10 days in order to make it.
Since I abused the reorder script in order to get to Level 21 by 2021, I’ve been stuck at level 21 for ~100 days now and 80 lessons still in the backlog. I guess I’m looking for some encouragement!

18 Likes

What keeps me most encouraged to keep going is reading. I love seeing words and kanji I recognize. Even better, I like looking up words that I don’t know in WaniKani and when I see that they’re within 10 levels, I feel eager to keep going. So for me, the lessons are the best part. We have thousands of vocab left to learn, so we might as well learn to love them. And of course 頑張れ!

13 Likes

It is possible to level up every ten days, although that can be a rough pace and might lead to burnout. I also just spent over three months stuck on a level, so there’s proof that it’s possible to bounce back from that. It might also be worth considering why you consider it a deadline, rather than a goal? If you miss it, it’s not the end of the world. More important is being consistent and making progress at a rate that you can handle, because burning out leads to giving up or not learning things effectively. Take it a day at a time, see how far you can get, and 頑張って! If you’re already a third of the way through, you have hundreds of kanji already learned, so maybe take a glance at NHK or Japanese Wikipedia and see how much you can make out, you might be pleasantly surprised. :slight_smile:

14 Likes

I would say stop worrying about racing and deadlines and focus on learning.

You don’t have to set your motivational goal as 60 by 2022; others who have joined this thread have set goals such as the second observation deck.

There are so many folks here at various paces progressing with the help of the great cheering squad of the other members, you’ll be supported no matter what.

18 Likes

Hello there!
I got excited and joined this climb because the proactive kid in me wanted to literally meet people doing WK in Spring 2022 (at the indicated Skytree, no less) but alas, one can only dream.

Now, I only consider Spring 2022 as a hard deadline but even if I don’t make it in time, so what? My main purpose is to learn, slowly but surely if I must, and I may or may not do lessons everyday, I know that eventually, I’ll rhetorically reach the top of the Skytree here!

11 Likes

It’s a good thing to set goal, but don’t let it overwhelm you. Because this is year+ learning project, you have to really pay attention to pacing. Don’t get too fast (will cause burnout), and don’t get too slow (to achieve meaningful progress), stay on your zone. Improving your pace can come later when you’re already comfortable to speed up. So now you need to find your sweet spot and make it a habit ~

Speaking of year+ learning project & habit, what I can suggest is some tips from book Atomic Habit. These simple things keep my habit rolling:

• Set reward
    I always keep a simple daily checklist (last year I do it on physical calendar, now on To-Do app). Be grateful to yourself to come this far!
  • In case you get hard time
    You can skip in 1 day if it’s hard, but never skip 2 days in a row ~

頑張れ! Let’s encourage each other and be grateful for the progress ~

13 Likes

Level 17! That level went (can I say this?) a bit TOO FAST. I was aiming for 9-10 day levels and did it in just over 7 :grimacing: which sounds good now but future me will not be pleased

15 Likes

80 lessons in backlog means you’ve almost cleared out your backlog, just a few days to go!

at a rough guesstimate, you’ve got about 5000 items left to learn, if you do 20 lessons a day that’s only 250 days. but 20 is quite a lot, you could go considerably lower than 20 a day and still make it ^^

i mean, when i make it to Tokyo, i’ll definitely ask here to see if anybody wants to meet at the skytree :smiley: even if it isn’t may 22nd 2022 :smiley:

7 Likes

How do you know?
Not questioning. I want to know mine

3 Likes

there’s a bit over 8000 items, 2/3 of that is a bit over 5000. lower levels average more items than higher levels, so round that down. it’s a very rough guestimate, might be off by a couple of hundred.

but it’s close enough to be able to estimate how many lessons by day might be necessary ^^

you could just add up your items in the various stages (apprentice, guru … burned) and then subtract those from the total items ^^

5 Likes

Or you could use the wkstats page and configure it to just show your locked and lesson items, and the number will show at the top of the items list:

6 Likes

Level 26.
Progress. I feel like I should put more effort into my lessons though. Because I can’t always remember, and that sucks.

14 Likes

Level 15 (around 8 days ago though haha) gooseproud

15 Likes

960x540,50%

Let it be known that I have reset to level 10 and so have moved myself back down from 24 to 10 on the leaderboard. I’m really hoping that I can still make it to the top of the tower by the target now!

19 Likes

it’s going to be a lot of work, but i wouldn’t be surprised if you still remembered lots of the stuff from the levels you reset, and if you therefore breezed through those levels! ^^

9 Likes