Last sentence(s) of page 129 for eBook readers:
「よし、いいぞ。しばらくようすをみよう。」

Upcoming Schedule
Week Start Date Part Page Numbers
Week 12 January 20th Solution Part 1 120 - 129
Week 13 January 27th Solution Part 2 131 - 139
Week 14 February 3rd Solution Part 3 140 - 149

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur/hide major events in the current week’s pages (however early they occur) and any later content, like so: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]
    Err on the side of caution!

• When asking for help, please mention the page number (or % for eBooks).

• Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn and someone else will probably be grateful you asked!

• People usually find that they engage with and enjoy the discussion much more if they don’t read ahead, though of course it’s up to you :wink:

• To you lurkers out there: join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m dropping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

7 Likes

Rowena
@Rowena

giphy

2 Likes

The “last line” bit is useful even for book-book readers, since none of the pages between 123 and 136 are numbered. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, I managed to call the first bit of the solution, where it comes to Sapphire at least. I didn’t spot the Adam’s apple, I admit, though others did.

3 Likes

Don’t I know it :unamused:

3 Likes

I was surprised at the Adam’s apple being the clue. It seemed so subtle I thought I was reading too much into it. Although Hanae did say there was one person unmistakably in disguise and I poured over the pictures of the three suspects without seeing anything else!

Good call on the person with the bag being the only one with means to hide the rats @Belthazar!

On page 125 I liked the word

のどぼとけ for Adam’s apple - or literally “throat Buddha”!

6 Likes

I didn’t even catch that connection! Thanks for pointing it out ^^

To be honest I found this a slightly confusing start, because it hadn’t really occurred to me for some reason that the culprit in attendance wouldn’t be the mastermind himself. It was all so focused on the Mouse that I didn’t imagine it might be somebody else - so I was pretty baffled when Kuroboshi was like “quick, after him!” :sweat_smile: .

Also lol at Kuroboshi confidently whipping that wig off :joy: what if they’d got it wrong?!

4 Likes

Had a good giggle because of the expression ふくろのねずみ / trapped rat :mouse:. Nice pun!

Thanks for the vocab list, btw! I was able to read everything in one go! Will read again more carefully and look up grammar I don’t understand later this week.

5 Likes

This is so weird. I’m really looking forward to seeing what they come up with regarding all the cats lol

4 Likes

Okay, done with reading it a second time.

I doubt

that they will be able to catch @Micki Mouse. (Sorry, I just love that Micki with the Mickey Mouse avatar is reading a case with us that is about a thief called similar to Mickey Mouse. :crazy_face:)
I don’t think he will (still) be in that house. :thinking:

4 Likes

You doubt Inspector Kuroboshi??!

3 Likes

Of course not. He’s the Lupin to Hanae’s Zenigata.

2 Likes

And I mysteriously arrived just as we reached the Mickey Mouse case!

4 Likes

Huh, absolutely no questions this week? Must be cos everybody is improving :wink:

1 Like

Or maybe b’se someone didn’t have notifications on for this thread… :woman_facepalming:

2 Likes

Or maybe because someone forgot she hadn’t actually finished all the reading… :woman_facepalming:t3:

EDIT: though, having now read through it, I can also confirm I have no questions. I’ve come a long way since page 1 :grin: :partying_face:

2 Likes

129 pages to be precise… :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Just necroing this thread to say I’ve finally finished the Week 12 reading (my new noting taking method is much more time-effective). Thanks to all who contributed to the vocab sheet, especially whoever noted that ふくろのねずみ is an (idiomatic) expression - that would have led to some confusion otherwise!

Just one question, from the very first page, p 120:
Is ふむふむ something someone would actually say, or is it along the lines of mumble mumble, written in stories but not actually said aloud in real life (except to be funny)?

4 Likes