Kawabata Reading group - currently reading 日向 starting p27

Sorry, I fell off the metaphorical wagon this chapter.
I couldn’t find the example you mentioned but would it be equivalent to それ・それから?
It did in this question: https://hinative.com/ja/questions/5549046

I have been reading 男と女と荷車 this evening.
Please don’t ask me how long it took to realise that the cart was not actually going anywhere. :rofl:
Also, I confess to having thought there were 45 kids on each side… until they mentioned there were only 9 in total and I realised it was 4-5.

I really did not get a sense of this… would you care to elaborate?

I found a couple of the missing meanings, I’ll put them in the list.

I got kind of a “lord of the flies” vibe from this story. Violence juxtaposed with innocence. I could be getting the tone all wrong tho.

thank you for the additions

Ill try reading it again and see if I can say something more coherent…

Summary of 男と女と荷車

A group of boys and girls are sitting on the sides of a cart and using it as a see-saw at the end of a summer day. The boys have their arms around the girls’ shoulders, the girls hold onto the cart or the boys’ knees, and they sing as they go up and down. Suddenly one of the boys, Tatsuo, jumps down and says they must change their groupings on the cart because they are damaging the shafts. One of the girls, Yuriko, argues with him that she doesn’t want to. Another boy, Shunzo (?), who has been sitting with Yuriko, suggests that Tatsuo just wants to change to sit with Yuriko. This upsets Yuriko who says she doesn’t like boys who say things like that. Shunzo goes on to be rude about girls in general. Tatsuo tries to calm things down, but Shunzo just wants the boys to stick together. He carries on, saying girls are light and weak. The girls hatch a plan to show they are not, by piling on to the shafts. The boys declare girls to be dishonest and there is further name calling on both sides. Then the boys launch a counterattack, pushing down the end of the cart, which pushes up the shafts. Yuriko loses her grip due to the impetus, and ends up lying on the ground crying. Shunzo says girls are crybabies. Yuriko says she’s going to tell her father, and her mother said (something about not playing with that sort of family), and she dashes off to cry against a door/gate. Shunzo says her family are country bumpkins and her father wouldn’t know about his family, and tries to get everyone to carry on with a game, but the others are just worried about Yuriko. Shunzo, perhaps reading Yuriko’s mind (as she hadn’t opened the door/gate), goes and whispers something in her ear. Yuriko nods and they both go back to the cart. This time, Shunzo, Tatsuo, Yuriko and another girl sit on one side, and six smaller kids sit on the other side. Five minutes later, it starts to rain heavily. The girls shriek that it’s cold and wet, but the boys stop them from getting off, and see-saw faster. Then it rains even more heavily, and the boys decide it’s time to go home, jumping off and scattering, leaving a drenched Yuriko shouting at them.

Well that was my take on it, anyway! I found it difficult to follow who was saying what (and why) at some points.
I saw the see-saw as a metaphor for the way the children were playing, their mood, and who is dominant. One minute they’re happy with each other, the next minute they are fighting like cats and dogs. Now it’s the girls, then it’s the boys. Up and down.

I particularly liked this sentence from p25:
五分、突然大粒の雨滴が葉桜に踊り落ち地を点々と染め、荷車を叩いた。
The imagery of the big drops of rain dancing on the sakura leaves and falling to dye the ground in dots and the sound of it beating on the cart is very evocative. I can easily imagine the summer storm breaking over the children who have been too engrossed in the ups and downs of their play to notice the sky darkening.

This is a model, but I imagine the cart in the story looked like this:

Thank you for the synopsis and the pic

Vocab list started for 日向。

Here is a 長火鉢 (nagahibachi - oblong brazier) as mentioned on p28.

Hi, what nihongo level at the least do I need to able to read and appreciate this? Thank you! :slight_smile:

I would say upper-intermediate to advanced at least. If you want to see more of the format/what’s in it, I reviewed the book for Tofugu a few years ago.

Thank you! I’m not yet confident with my intermediate skills but I’ll take note of this and will get back on it after I finish Kanzen Master N2. I have read Kawabata and Mishima, in English but reading them in their raw form is one of my goal. :slight_smile: