Kanji routine

Hi WaniKani Community!

I’m pretty new to this webpage and kanji overall but I’m eager to learn and do my reviews/lessons at least twice a day. I’m just wondering if you guys use Wanikani as your main learning tool for kanji or a supplement to let’s say for example textbooks where you learn stroke order etc? Please do share your Kanji routine!

Best!

2 Likes

For me it’s more of a vocab routine, but kanji is also involved. I have a couple of anki-like sets with vocab for time expressions, adjectives (いー and なー), verbs, nouns (grouped thematically) and general expressions (including adverbs). My overall routine looks as follows:

daily:

• vocab + kanji with WaniKani (twice a day or more often if I get more items to review)
  • grammar lessons and exercises + occasional kanji for new words, which if important go into above word sets

weekly:

• all words from the word sets mentioned at the beginning

I use colors to mark my progress in remembering words:

• red - new word I read maybe once and don’t remember yet
  • orange - can read, but can’t write yet
  • blue - can read and write

Easier words, usually spelled with kana like きれい or words with kana + kanji I already know (for example, 先ず), start with orange. Kanji only words start with red.

If I can’t remember a word for longer, I practice it a couple of times on paper, following the stroke order for each kanji as shown on jisho.org. Unfortunately, I already have some bad habits so need to work on these ^^".

2 Likes

I use WK exclusively for Kanji and whatever vocab is included.

For me, it’s optimal with the time I have to devote to Japanese in general. Once I’ve finished WK’s lessons I’ll start reading more.

1 Like

I only use WK at the moment for learning kanji. It’s very time efficient, so well spent energy. For vocab you really need to expand your studies to other stuff. But learning kanji and thus learning to read is a very good start. :slight_smile: (new words you can look up as you go)

1 Like

I use only WK for kanji and vocabulary words; I’ve tried to pick up other learning apps or systems parallell, like Bunpro or Lingodeer, but none of those have stuck in the same way. For grammar I slammed into Genki (like a lot of people do) and lurk a lot on the forums (since a lot of people take pains to explain things well if you ask).

However! I’ve also been reading up on Tofugu’s explanation series about grammar particles. The fact that they focus really hard on one thing per article is something I appreciate a lot, and whenever a sentence structure you come across seems odd it’s nice to be able to vaguely remember ‘oh yeah, wasn’t there this thing…?’ and put it into practice. Their focus isn’t as expansive as most grammar books,

Otherwise I try to keep some Japanese audio around and try to dive into reading, even when I’m woefully underprepared for it. :V Time spent looking up scattered sundries off now can pay off when you re-encounter those concepts or words later–the pang of recognition comes a lot easier when you’ve already sorted it out once, even if you didn’t get it fully then. Something I have fond memories of was helping a friend play through a Japanese-only video game, looking a bunch of kanji up on the fly, desperately trying to remember grammar and overall being mostly completely unhelpful. And yet! A lot of the kanji that I originally looked up back then have come back in my WK lessons, and have been a lot easier to remember the meaning of as a result. Plus, the practice I got hastily identifying distinctive radicals to look up has come in handy whenever I see a kanji I don’t recognize.

This is all a bit long-winded and probably tangential, but the main thing I’m trying to get at is picking up bits and pieces from here and there can help out a lot. Words with odd readings that I’d heard elsewhere stuck immediately, kanji that would otherwise trip me up were familiar, etc. Just looking at or listening to a bunch of stuff, you’ll get a lot of things you can’t process yet, but all you need is a couple of things to stick. (Sidenote: It is entirely possible this isn’t actually a good study method, and I am just addicted to the thrill of recognition.)

2 Likes

I mainly use WK for kanji, but also started a writing deck on Anki a couple months ago.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.