Kaniwani Major Update: 1.3.4!

Hello users of Kaniwani! My apologies for dropping off the face of the earth.

As of this today, a new update has gone out to Kaniwani. It contains a few things:

• Fix for similar words, e.g. mom,mother,mama. If words are extremely similar, correct answers are now set to interchangeable between them. Note this is a manual process of merging, so if you find 2 words that are identical that are tripping you up, shoot me an email and I’ll see if they are candidates. So far mother,father,young girl are all the ones I’ve merged. I’ll be going through my (many) emails to find more, but please feel free to email me via the website to submit things you think are identical.
  • Resetting to a given level which reset everything above that level, not everything above and including that level. Thanks to Travis-Taylor for the contribution.
  • Expanded vocabulary search bar to include user meaning synonyms. Thanks to Travis-Taylor for the contribution.
12 Likes

Hi @Tadgh11 or @Subversity , maybe you can respond to this:

2 Likes

Bug
I am using the latest version of Microsoft Edge (Chromium based) on Windows.
I am having an issue when doing lessons where getting an item incorrect doesn’t show anything in the info box.
If I get it incorrect infobox is empty, but INFO: High is set. If I press spacebar, it toggles through low/medium/high, but still stays empty.

I need to click the infobox button with my mouse, and then it is shown, and spacebar to cycle does work correctly.

1 Like

Hey @Dabi do you have this setting toggled on in the Settings page?

You can also hit f to open the info box.
To be fair, I should probably force open the box if you try to toggle the info level when it’s closed.

Check that setting though, by default it’s closed when incorrect so you can think of what the right answer might have been rather than see it immediately.

Hi! I thought I put KaniWani on Vacation Mode, but actually, I didn’t… I now have a scary pile of reviews.

Is there any way to reset the Reviews without compromising my progress? Not sure if Reset Kaniwani Progress would address this issue…

1 Like

Hey there. If you didn’t go on vacation there’s not much we can do.
Personally I’d just slowly work at getting the review pile down.

To make it easier you could lock some levels in the vocabulary section, which will reduce your review load - and then unlock levels one at a time as you have more work capacity.

1 Like

Thanks for your answer. I’ve started reviewing my pile little by little. Hopefully, I should be back on track in the next few days!

Is it possible to update my KaniWani username to my current one on WaniKani? My account still lists the old username, and I couldn’t find a way to update it.

Just found out the existence of this API !
Thank you for the work on it. Will help a lot. :smile:

Is there any way to delete my Kaniwani account?

1 Like

I love this app, but there are certain things I would love to make this perfect:

1. Don’t have synonyms enter a correct answer, have the option to have it ignore until you choose the correct spelling.
  2. Only allow Kanji to enter. This forces me to right in and use the correct Kanji for an answer.
  3. Display the english context sentence before you provide the answer to make it more likely to get the correct answer when there are synonyms (e.g 女, 女の人)
  4. When a synonym / similar word is used it would be good to highlight would the definition of this is to show the difference in usage.
  5. I do have a big list of synonyms that I’ve pulled from somewhere else. It would be good to get these added to the list more easily, but only if point 4 was in place.

I wouldn’t mind creating userscripts, but I don’t have much experience in this so if anyone has any advice on where to start with this I would appreciate it!

Kind regards,
Chris

1 Like

kaniWano team doesn"t seem to come here much often, but they are pretty responsive in their Slack channel if you want to contact them.

For point #2, I see this come up regularly as an advantage to KameSame over KaniWani, but as someone who has been using KaniWani for a while and doesn’t want to switch over: assuming you use Windows, use this to install a Japanese keyboard. Doing that you can type in the correct kanji and will be marked wrong if you type the right hiragana but select the wrong kanji for it. It’s what I do to make sure I’m remembering everything correctly.

Thanks for your suggestion. :slight_smile: However, I already use a Japanese keyboard (in fact I use a handwriting recognition tool on my iPad that let’s me write out the Kanji and submit as an answer). I guess I think it would be good to have the option to switch off the auto-keyboard that KW provides as is this forces you to try and recall the kanji rather than just the phonetic saying.

I send this via the Feedback on KW but I thought it might be good to add it here as well.

Hi guys, thank you so much for KW, I find it super helpful! I have a small feature request. Would it be possible to add the English meaning for the kanji into the expanded info panel? When I don’t know a reading it’s usually because I can’t remember the kanji meaning in English. Putting the English into the info panel means that I can strengthen that link, and remember the reading better. I’ve mocked up a rough version below. Thank you so much again!

3 Likes

Is it just me, or is KaniWani having problems fetching reviews? I tried on two devices and my reviews which were supposed to pop last night at 10pm still haven’t shown up almost 12 hours later.

There was a lot of communications issues yesterday evening with the service but it seems to be back up now. Hopefully, the delays from being able to start the review process has also been fixed. Just have a little bit of backlog to go through now.

Yeah I just checked and my reviews from yesterday finally appeared, although my vocab from this morning still has no lessons. I think it probably won’t appear until the next sync window since it missed the first one.

Thanks for the messages, not sure quite what was happening but we’ve rebooted the server and it should be back to normal!

2 Likes

Hey all,
Been a while since I used KaniWani (had a long break from WK and reset several levels; then felt the need to catch up on WK levels first before restarting KW also; just reset KW back a couple of days ago). Is the KaniWani project still in active development/maintenance?

I ask because after I reset I got the vocab for Homesickness (里心), but that vocab has been removed from WaniKani for a while now. Does KW not automatically follow the changes in vocabs made to WK?

I also noticed that KW doesn’t seem to have all the latest WK vocabs, like for instance Napoleon The Third ( ナポレオン三世) from level 7. Same question: Does KW not automatically pull the new vocab from WK?

It’s not a huge huge deal, but over time it may become more and more divergent from WK. If active development has been reduced or minimized (which is totally understandable, as it’s free! Thanks, by the way!) then maybe a final ‘ongoing maintenance automation’ feature could be to automatically maintain KW’s database of vocabs with WK’s? Then it wouldn’t need anymore manual updates and could just automatically maintain itself.

As an alternative to fully-automated syncing with WK, perhaps there could be a feature for individual users to ‘import’ missing vocab from WK to KW? Something like ‘Scan for differences with WaniKani’ and then from list of differences we can ‘import’ missing ones, and/or ‘deactivate’ ones that have been discontinued on WK?

Just some ideas! :smiley:

2 Likes