Kaniwani Major Update: 1.3.4!

Can you open an issue on Issues · Kaniwani/kw-backend · GitHub ? Better to track it there :slight_smile: Thanks for the report!

1 Like

Actually this was me clearing out lessons that shouldnt have been there. You’re good to go :slight_smile:

Figured it was something like that. Thanks again.

kw

kw2

I know the word 半 really really well :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:
I can just reset the word but I thought it was quite funny hehe

1 Like

Yeah side effect of preparing to sunset V1 api. You are free to resurrect it :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I reset it and…
wk3

0/10 would not recommend, website requires time travel :rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

Let’s get this website up to 88 miles per hour (it should be in your review list now). The next review date will fix itself once you perform a review of it.

2 Likes

Hello, thanks for all the work that goes into keeping Kaniwani a great tool.

I’ve been having issues over the past few days and I’d like to report some of the most salient that persist:

1. When I try to do my reviews on my laptop (regardless of the browser; I’ve tried with Chrome, Firefox, Opera, and Edge), the page loads but the reviews never do. I can only see the loading wheel spinning endlessly. Oddly enough, when I access Kaniwani from my phone and try to do the reviews from there, they do load and, even more suprisingly, if I try to do the reviews on my laptop after that they also load. For the past few days, I have been unable to do any reviews on my laptop unless I load the reviews on my phone at the same time.

2. Many items I just recently unlocked (apprentice) have been suddenly burned when I got them right while others have kept their SRS level up order as normal. It’s weird. I noticed that the system seems to confuse homophone words. For example, one of the newest items I unlocked that was suddenly burned when I got it right was 現す (pronounced あらわす). This word shares readings with 表す(あらわす), which is a much older word that I had at the enlightened level. I think Kaniwani thinks of the two as equivalent (because of the shared reading). So, leveling up on 現す (which should be at about guru for me) burned it, as would be expected if I had gotten its homophone counterpart (表す) right. I’ve noticed this same issue with other homophone words. I have several burned items from a long time ago and I don’t recall encountering this problem before.

How was 1970?

Fastest burn ever! Untitled

I think that it was giving me items that were still in the lesson pool when I was trying to do reviews. I’m pretty sure that any items that were untrained became burned when I answered them correctly.

Imagine that in WK… lol

Yeah a whole whack of lessons (100 or so) had SRS data deleted for them accidentally during migration. Sorry :frowning:

The vast majority of the reviews were already burned for over 90% of the users, so I elected to just flip them to enlightened so that most users could just re-burn them. If you don’t like this solution, you are free to go and reset the SRS information on those particular pieces of vocabulary, and review them from scratch. The other option was to leave them as lessons for everybody, so I picked something I thought to be a rough compromise between just re-burning them, and leaving them as lessons. It’s unfortunate for the people who actually happened to be running into those vocabulary for the first time ever.

I’ve added an announcement to the site as well. I’m not going to spend any more time on this, as I’d rather work on getting actual net new features in that we’ve been wanting for a long time.

Cheers,

1 Like

Regarding issue 2, see above.

Regarding Issue 1: Please email me via the website contact form because that seems suspicious. I can investigate your account for you and see what’s up. What a strange issue!

2 Likes

My Kaniwani hasn’t synced in 3 days. Any suggestions?

Edit: it’s back to syncing every 12 hours now but many items are coming back shortly after being reviewed to be reviewed again. I often guru an item only to be mastered in a few hours, or mastered to be shortly enlightened. It’s totally random.

Since a few days a get repeating reviews. Sometimes I do them and get them again an hour later.

1 Like

Since the recent update I’ve had a lot of trouble with performance. I now regularly get multiple “answers are still pending submission” messages while doing reviews, the review session often ends partway through, and the initial loading of a review session regularly takes 20+ seconds when it was nearly instant before.

Also, I’m sure others have suggested it before, but it would be great to have an “ignore last answer” button. When typing 100+ words in a review, I often end up with a couple typos, and it’s really frustrating to see a word I know well be demoted due to that.

Finally, out of curiosity, the update mentioned switching to the v2 API, but the app still only asks for a v1 API key. I tried putting a v2 key, in case it uses two implementations and chooses one based on the key, but it doesn’t seem to accept it. How come?

That said, it’s an awesome app and a great complement to WaniKani! Thanks for all your hard work!

4 Likes

Has a burn review for 一つ and fails because typo :angry:

EDIT: This didn’t happen to me, but that sounds like a summary of what you said

2 Likes

If you press backspace, the answer gets ignored.

+1. And I’m kind of noticing the reviews come back after an hour but still get one stage up on the SRS system? Like from Guru to Master in just a day.
This has also been mentioned before, I think.

1 Like

Ooh, that worked! Thanks!

1 Like

Just a heads up to everybody, I am on vacation and have no access to a computer. I am unsubscribing from this topic until I get home , so I won’t be looking at anything until about Nov 1. Aloha from Hawaii!

3 Likes