Kana-Only Vocabulary Additions

As a last little comment for now: I’ve been paying close attention to how a similar product, namely BunPro, has been handling its recent process of massively upgrading the website and app to be a lot more flexible and to incorporate new features. Specifically, they have also introduced a new vocab feature (currently in beta – i.e. acquiring valuable customer feedback prior to full release – which is already an opt-in system) which has already improved so much that – to be quite frank but honest – already blows this new proposed WK vocab feature out of the water. (Of course, there’s plenty of opportunity for WK to improve their ‘additional vocab’ feature to be on par with that of BunPro’s beta vocab system; just sayin’ that BP has a big head start, and they’re still ‘only’ in beta!)

There’s been a big, noticeable difference in the software development methodology being used between WK’s recent changes and BP’s similar recent changes. BunPro has adopted a beta system. They actively solicit customer feedback early, during development, not waiting until virtually the last minute before first release. And they noticeably listen to customer feedback. Sometimes it’s just to say, “Okay, we heard you and will attempt to handle that issue in the future, before final release, but we can’t address it immediately, due to other more urgent priorities. Still, thanks for your input!” But at least they are not seemingly sweeping negative (yet constructive) criticism under the rug, and assuming that, “Well, once we release the first version, folks will see how good a feature it is, and they’ll surely come around over time.”

They also provide advance notice of new features, months in advance – indeed, solicit customer feedback regarding the plans for future developments, and keep us informed about progress as they are developing things.

I could go on and on, but I think that’s enough examples for now. The point is that – as a former software developer myself – I have been consistently impressed by the mature development process the BunPro team have adopted over the years, and by the concrete, user-tested great new innovations and improvements they’ve been making.

I’m just saying that I’m not getting the same vibe from these recent WK changes at all. And I think that’s a shame and a huge missed-opportunity for the WK team to get the same kind of synergistic feedback and communication with their customers as BP has been fostering, as well as the benefits (in terms of app/site stability, customer satisfaction, etc.) as the BP team’s development process has garnered them.

I’m just trying to raise some warning flags before the WK ship starts heading too deep into ice-berg infested waters. “Hey, there are icebergs in that direction, just in case you weren’t aware of that! And there’s a well-charted channel in this nearby direction that will actually get you to your destination faster and safer, by the way. Just sayin’.”

62 Likes