Jitai (字体): The font randomizer that fits

Thank you very much for this script!

I don’t want to get into a debate on the definition, just that in my mind, random means fairly equal distribution. If, in my list of 114 fonts, while reviewing 350 items (yeah, I was a bit behind… :roll_eyes:) I see one font come up a hell of a lot more than the other ones, well it just doesn’t feel fair to the other fonts :laughing:

But I guess this might have also been due to some fonts not working at all. So to be sure, I just finished testing all of the fonts, by hand, one by one… (My obsession-du-jour says Hi everyone! :wave:)

anyway, from a list of 114 fonts I kept 49, the rest were either just not to my liking or they didn’t work at all. These are confirmed to work. So I’ll see how it behaves now.

To those of you who are wondering wth I’m doing with all of these fonts, I’ll gladly admit, I just want to practice my kanji recognition with fonts from readable to downright impossible (Hi, ArmedBanana…) It’s fun to me.

3 Likes

This is an awesome idea, and an issue I’ve already come across in ‘the wild’ multiple times already!

ありがとうございました!お疲れ様でした

1 Like

I’ve only installed this fairly recently, but really loving the script. I feel that seeing the kanji in different forms really helps. I installed the Epson fonts recommended as well, and feel they are more handwriting-like than the ones I had pre-installed on my computer. Sometimes I wonder how I manage to recognise kanji when they look so different. And others I struggle with the really handwriting-style fonts. It’s also interesting seeing how the kanji look in the different fonts, and I feel I am learning the full kanji a lot better than when I was just using the default wanikani font.

(Also, I use wanikani on 2 computers and my phone, and only have jitai installed on one of them. I’m wondering if it would even work on an Android phone, since it relies on fonts the computer has installed on it?)

Probably not considering all this runs on a framework designed for Chrome. WaniKani app is a mobile script written by a third party hero and none of these user generated codes are integrated.

The Android Firefox app has extension support, and apparently has one or two userscript extensions – I haven’t tried it, but that could potentially work.

As for within a third-party app, that’s totally possible, but the userscript and the fonts would have to be bundled with the app. In fact, one of the WaniKani apps for iPhone ships with Jitai! I’ve considered putting WaniKani into WK for WaniKani, the Android app I use, but I don’t have an Android app development environment set up. Basically, it’s possible, but someone would have to put in the work. :grin:

Thank you for this script. Feels like a fresh start :smile:

This script really messes with me, I LOVE IT. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Difficult looking kana and kanji fonts will be no match for sheer determination!

2 Likes

existingFonts lists all the new fonts but they aren’t coming up. Any pointers to look further?

Do you have the fonts installed on your computer?

1 Like

I really love this script. I have had it for a long time, and then a couple of days ago went ahead and downloaded some more fonts instead of just the normal Mac ones, and boy am I learning to recognize the kanji in more shapes. This script is so valuable. :smiley:

3 Likes

Yeah I did install a bunch and I can use the codesnippet provided to switch the review font but it doesn’t happen automatically.

Hmm, try removing everything except one font from the list to see if it shows up “randomly” then. Maybe it’s just bad luck that it’s not showing up from everything in the list.

But shouldn’t the script detect the installed fonts and only use those in the randomizer?

fontExists(“nagayama_kai”) for example also does give true.

Yes, that’s my understanding. My point is, just because you’re not seeing that font show up, doesn’t mean it won’t show up. Randomness is a funny thing like that. If you remove all other fonts temporarily, you should see it show up in reviews if the font is working correctly.

But my problem is I can’t get any font other than the default one to show up.

Sorry I’m out of ideas. Maybe @obskyr can help you.

Does this script still work? I just discovered it.

Yes it does :durtle_noice:

1 Like

i am using firefox and none of my locally installed fonts worked. i did some digging and apparently this is due to firefox sandboxing fonts to avoid fingerprinting.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1188968