Is WK enough for Kanji?

Actually, this is good enough. WK calculates your review times rounding down to the nearest hour. Therefore, whether you do you lessons at 7:01 am or 7:59 am, your next review will be available at 11:00 am. It’s the same with reviews, so as long as you finish your review within the hour, it still rounds the time down =)

1 Like

An update from me, since I am going at a similar pace and started at a similar time (and also wrote in this thread before):

I was doing WK and Heisig in parallel (but in different languages).
I stopped that completely now. I am only doing WK, not Heisig (but I do reviews in Anki for the ones I know).
I am doing KaniWani for vocab and I think it helps me a lot doing vocab “both ways”.
For the same reason I am also doing this: [Version 1.05 | 2016-01-31] Anki deck for kanji writing practice
This kind of replaces what I was doing with Heisig, since I have Kanji stroke order and recall for Kanji, but for the ones I learned with WaniKani.

I am doing all available reviews in the morning and 5 lessons.
At ca. 4 pm I am doing all reviews again and when I am feeling good I am doing another 5 lessons.
Then in the evening I am doing reviews when I have time, making sure I get the “4 hour reviews” for the things I learned in the afternoon so I have the 8 hour wait for reviews when I sleep.

I am quite happy with this setup now.

1 Like

I’m less than halfway through the entire course and am already at the point where it’s rare for me to not be able to get the general gist of a piece of writing via the kanji, unless it’s at an extremely high level. WK has raised my literacy in Japanese immeasurably, and is by far the best kanji-reading tool I’ve ever found. (Currently live in Japan.)

That said, there are reasons you may want to supplement it early on: It’s probably all you need in terms of kanji acquisition/reading, but you may want to get additional print material to guide writing practice (just to have something to work with and pace yourself with offline; I used an N3 kanji book and a composition notebook). If you’re in a class, you’re already covered on this. If you’re facing a JLPT test, you’ll probably also want to study its specific (probable) kanji list, as there may be some you won’t have covered at your current WK level.

Both of the above are optional, though. Just for comprehension, until you get to needing kanji outside the joyo list, yeah, I think it’s enough.

Edit – It’s not enough for vocab though, so make sure you’re covering that in other ways (outside reading, vocab books and apps, etc.).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.