Is my progress atypically slow?

This is a bad idea, yes. If you’re already struggling with completing your accumulated reviews, you need to work on your accuracy, first, before making the problem worse.

Have you read the ultimate guide to WK before? I always recommend giving that a read so that you can understand how the SRS system works, and how best to optimize the review interval timing. If you find some way to hit the first two review stages for all of your new lesson items, you’ll probably see your accuracy increase a lot.

If you optimize the timing and still struggle to remember things, then I recommend: 1) spending longer on each lesson and making sure that you have a strong mnemonic for everything, which might sometimes mean coming up with a new mnemonic if WK’s isn’t working for you, and 2) going through all of your missed reviews and looking at each item closely and figuring out what went wrong. Did you get two kanji confused? Look at them side by side and identify the difference. Did you forget a rendaku or a reading? Come up with a new mnemonic to help you remember it.

I think if you improve your accuracy, you will feel a lot less pressure from your WK workload and will be able to progress a lot faster. Good luck!

11 Likes