I'm forgetting the mnemonics (good) but now the visually similar kanji are blending together (bad). WHAT DO?

Yea I was just giving an example that is a little bit more extreme than your case, but I still believe is relevant. Whether it’s little differences or just straight up forgetting the meaning in isolation like me, in my opinion, providing context through vocabulary is the best way to reinforce kanji.

2 Likes

Aye, and even just typing a single kanji can be difficult if you don’t remember a word it’s in. Most of the time I have to type kanji on here that isn’t it’s own standalone word I usually just type the 熟語 and delete the other kanji.

9 Likes

As I understand, that’s exactly how Japanese people do that too. Good enough for the Japanese, good enough for me :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

In kanji like 議 and 儀 and 義? :smiley: :smiley: That’s a lot of strokes, right?
These are fairly easy to tell apart exactly because the left side radical differs, but the right side part is the phonetic component so it’s usually ぎ.

Yup, same as in 粉. Totally a thing :smiley: .

Same here. So @f3lix , long-term, don’t worry about it much as long you’re able to identify those 1-2 radicals that differ in similarly looking kanji and that you’re able to read/write the correct kanji in word context :slight_smile: .

2 Likes

I do this on the kanji study app - make little custom sets of two or three that are really annoying me, learn to write them ,and then draw them one after the other until I’ve really learnt the differences.

Obviously this doesn’t stop me messing up the readings though…

1 Like

Man I really wish you could use scripts on mobile!

1 Like

There’s an experimental browser that lets you but it’s buggy and in russian

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.