Im back! whats changed?

I started my wanikani journey a long time ago (roughly 9 to 10 years ago), when i first started learning japanese.
Although i am only level 45 and have about 2400 reviews to go through after not wanikani for quite a few years. im dedicated to clearing the que and getting to level 60.
although i got jlptn2 about 5 years ago and currently live in japan and am fluent, i havent really focused on kanji / vocab much and have been acquiring it naturally for a few years.
i will use this as a tool to eventually get n1. i guess by july or december this year.

I’m curious to how the website has changed in the past 5+ years since i seriously studied with this app.
Anything big in particular?

8 Likes

There’s Kana Vocab now.
The lesson picker is new.
The summary page after reviews is gone.
We have a “Recent Mistakes” component now.

7 Likes

The most important thing is that Jourm has become Joe once more.

20 Likes

Basic functionality, not so much, but

• Old script pre-2023 are broken on the website, due to using a new web framework
  • Additional of Kana vocabularies, that is, no reading quiz for those, and API is updated accordingly. Some old third-party mobile apps might be broken.
  • Removal of summary page
  • Limited lessons per day, and Lesson picker, is very new. Lesson picker has been there for a while, but not official.
  • New mnemonics. Major overhaul has been a while, after that, some gradual changes.
  • New context sentences
  • Additional vocabularies and Kanji. Not so many yet on Kanji part, though. Contents are gradually improving, as they really respond to feedback for those.
5 Likes

Also, WK now detects if you enter meaning instead of reading or if you enter kanji reading instead of vocab reading and doesn’t fail the item in such case – instead it asks to enter correct reading.

5 Likes

I am now here!

8 Likes

This is a result of the conspiracy by Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce to win the Super Bowl, endorse Joe, and make sure Jourm loses the election.

7 Likes

Big Kanji strikes again! Always working in the kage to keep Mrs Chou down. SAD

4 Likes

I joined in 2017 but since then no nothing important has really happened :thinking:

3 Likes