I need some advice on where to go from here

Like @Kazzeon I’m a bit curious about what you are reading. If you want easier reading material, I would either look at the Absolute Beginner Book Club (they tend to break down a lot of grammar there and there are a lot of already finished books/manga) or graded readers (for learners). ABBC will have native material but through the WK threads you’ll find loads of breakdowns of grammar, translations and other things to aid your understanding, plus a pre-filled vocabulary sheet that you can consult for look ups. While graded readers will have smaller pools of vocabulary and limited grammar, both of which will increase as the level of graded reader goes up.

For grammar, there are loads of options. I would assume that after laying the basic groundwork that Cure Dolly gets into more intermediate stuff. But if you want something else there is everything from Genki, to Tae Kim’s grammar guide, to Bunpro.jp, to many other online websites that I don’t remember the names of (renshuu, Lingodeer and others), Human Japanese (I think that is what it is called). Also a few more textbooks of course.

For vocab, there are other SRS systems if you are interested in that. From Kitsune to several others I also don’t remember the name of (some under grammar section might have vocab too). If you want book/manga/VN/game specific ones you have koohi (formerly floflo) and jpdb.

Or if you go with a textbook, you can always pick to learn the vocabulary associated with each chapter.

You can find info on graded readers and a few other things here:

5 Likes