I have bought mangas

I bought two mangas in japanese and that seems cool at a bookshop, both having hiraganas writed for kanjis, should l start reading them now, or waiting that i get more levels in wanikani ?

5 Likes

The hiragana reading for kanji is called “furigana”, it’s very common in all sorts of media targeting kids and teenagers.

I say try and read them now, although ideally I’d recommend starting with manga that you’re already familiar with. Maybe see if you can find English translations online and read that first?

There are a few benefits to trying to read very early on IMO:

• While you won’t be able to understand virtually anything if you don’t have prior knowledge of Japanese, it can still be useful as practice to read kana (especially the English loanwords in katakana) and the common kanji that you already know.

• It will be good motivation to keep studying. You can look up unknown words and kanji and see at what level you’ll learn them on WaniKani. That should motivate you to keep studying and leveling up.

• It’ll give you a good way to gauge your progress. You can try reading the first few pages every other week for instance, and as you improve it should become easier and easier. You’re also creating memories for later: I still remember the first time I booted up Final Fantasy VII in Japanese and I couldn’t make sense of the very first lines of dialogue. Now I can read them effortlessly, and that feels nice. It’s good motivation.

• As you progress it’ll also give you some feedback on what area of the language you need to work on. If you focus on the kanji with WaniKani currently, you’ll probably find that by the time you near level 30 it’s no longer the limiting factor to read the manga, and instead you should focus on grammar and vocab.

• Finally some people overthink switching from curated textbook content to “real” Japanese and are terrified of failure when they do so. I think this is a very bad mindset because IMO the earlier you switch to consuming real content the better. If you start doing it from the very start the transition will be smooth and natural, at some point you’ll realize that you can actually understand the manga fairly well and will just keep on reading. There’s no pressure or objective, and therefore no fear of failing.

But keep in mind that if you’re a complete beginner in Japanese you won’t be able to meaningfully read anything for now. Don’t overdo it. At this point your time is better spent studying content for learners (assuming that your WK level is representative of your overall proficiency in the language).

11 Likes

If you have some basic understanding, sure why not. you can re-read it later and see how much more you can understand. If your only Japanese knowledge is WaniKani lvl 2, it might be a bit hard, but if you enjoy it, keep at it!

2 Likes

Depends – if the manga has full furigana, then your WK level will not be the limiting factor. You will want at least some basic idea of grammar (like having done most of a beginners textbook, or similar content), and you’ll need to be prepared to do a lot of vocab lookups. If you don’t have any grammar basics then you’re probably better off starting to work on that aspect first. The good news is you don’t have to wait until you’ve got to any particular WK level before you start studying grammar – the best thing is to start right now and study alongside WK.

4 Likes

Ye i was considering buying at least the french edition of genki 1

1 Like

You’re right of course although I want to point out for the beginners that, even when furigana is present, knowing the kanji helps a lot to guess, memorize and recall the meaning of words. Like I just encountered the word 熱湯 (ねっとう) meaning “boiling water” and while the meaning is easy to guess from the kanji, there’s no way I would have guessed that if it had been written just in kana.

Not a bad idea although personally I found it a bit too “scholarly” for my taste. I ended up using Tae Kim and Cure Dolly, which also have the advantage of being completely free.

Then once I had the basics I mostly used Bunpro (not free, unfortunately, but really great for grammar IMO).

1 Like

I got a bit of duolingo too, idk if that fit with basic grammar

I never used Duolingo for Japanese but I did use it for other languages years ago, it’s pretty useless as a primary resource IMO. If you like it then keep using it, but you should probably consider it extra practice on top of other more “serious” courses.

1 Like

I stopped it