I FORGET burned items!

So, I ordered two level 0 graded books from CDJapan a couple of days ago. Yeah, I’ve read that level 0 is really easy, but there is only one month since I started learning japanese (had almost zero knowledge before), so I decided to take baby steps and buy level 0. If I can easly read it, it’ll cheer me up a lot!

2 Likes

aanhlle, you inspired me to research and write this thread… someone has categorized lots of aozora books by difficulty level. I wanted to see if I could get this content on my Kindle Paperwhite… so now I should have plenty of reading material to wade through beyond the graded readers:

1 Like

You seem to be assuming that people start WK with no knowledge of Japanese. I find many already have a solid basis and needed specifically more and better kanji and vocabulary instruction. That’s my case.

Anyway, I don’t think there’s a flaw in the concept of “burning” just because you sometimes draw a blank when you see a kanji you’ve already burned. There is a theoretical point where you will never forget a kanji until dementia strikes. It’s just longer than six month’s exposure. I started learning a few basic kanji many years ago, and I’ll never draw a blank looking at 山, 食, or 所 as examples.

For the ones I just learned within the last six months and have now burned, I might “forget” them once in awhile, but when I relearn them, it won’t be like I’m starting from zero again. Indeed, they’ll just become super-burned, the more I have exposure to them until they become … perma-burned like the above-mentioned kanji. And if I forget something like 藤 (wisteria) that I learned here but rarely encounter in the wild, so be it. There are in fact more useful kanji that WK doesn’t teach for some reason.

But I’m learning Japanese so that I can read (and listen, and speak), not to ace memory tests. And what I’m learning here whether perma-burned or not is giving me an excellent foundation. Learning grammar, however, is up to me.

5 Likes

off topic… I never expected you to be a fellow mexican (or so it seems because of the screenshots of your steam account).

That’s nice

Of course you can start it with previous knowledge, and many people do. But many people start it with no previous knowledge at all (other than reading kanas), and this is indeed not only contemplated by the creators but they even discourage you to attempt grammar before you aren’t level 10 and reading before you are level 20 (or something like that), so if you happen to be in this category the timing doesn’t work quite well. Anyway, I feel that we are going in loops: some people like this ‘burning’ concept, many others really don’t (it’s not like I’m the only one who thinks it that way). I really think there should be a toggle. Or not, after all you can stop using wanikani whenever you feel you learnt enough (or that kanjis are indeed ‘burned’ in your memory), but sadly with burn being as it is you’re forced to stop using it or start from scratch (everything or just the kanjis you feel you don’t know well enough). I think ‘burnt’ items should be asked every year or so, and go back to enlightened when you get them wrong. You can still stop using wanikani when you have all burnt if you wish to do so, and if you are fast enough you can burn them all even before they are asked to you, and you can decide to stop wanikani without ever being tested on a burned item, and still having burned them all.

I’m sorry but wut… You can see my steam account?.. Anyway I’m not a Mexican, güey :hear_no_evil:

You uploaded screenshots with the price in MXN i thought that was the reason

I did bought Steins;Gate btw thanks to your post.

Fine, you’re not mexican i believe you

1 Like

just so you know, steam will display the price in your country currency if you set your country in steam. With mine it’s displayed like this :hear_no_evil:

1 Like

yeah yeah… my bad

I assumed you made a screenshot all this time… but it was just a SHARE of the link, then yes it appeared with my own currency.

So that’s… vietnam currency?

hell ya :hear_no_evil:

1 Like

You’re the first person ever i’ve met from your country

Nice to meet you

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.