I enjoy writing kanjis for fun as I go. But there are some that are not so fun to write. What are some kanjis you love or hate to write?

I hate 乗、興、響、引、機、械

I really like 感、成、勉、優

1 Like

I don’t know about ones I like writing, but ones I do not like writing are and . D< Oh, and anything with a box in a box like . :face_with_diagonal_mouth:
Oh wait, no, I love writing anything with this guy: I don’t know why, but especially the bottom half is very satisfying to write.

4 Likes

OP, your kanji looks great!

I used to write a lot when I was taking classes, but the classes are no longer available in my area since COVID so I haven’t been writing much at all. Hopefully classes will resume at some time in the future.

I really went on a pen hunting craze for quite a while. I must have tried out 30 different pens, and then settled on the Uni-ball Signo Dx 0.28 Um-151 Gel Ink pens. They create a really fine line, great for writing detailed, small kanji. You can write rather small and have it still be legible. You need the hands of a trained surgeon though.

I can think of only two downsides to a line this fine. First, if you’re writing at a larger scale, such a fine line may be too fine and end up looking wiggly. And secondly, you can’t really write well if your writing grip has you holding the pen at a very large angle against the paper. In that case, you may have to adjust your grip so the pen is held more vertically against the paper. Neither of these were an issue for me, so I bought a couple ten packs of these great pens.

4 Likes

I also love writing this one and I think I do know why it’s so satisfying! I’m struggling to put it into words but it’s like you draw three 'x’es in a back and forth sweeping motion. I drew one a bit exaggerated to show it better

7 Likes

Will sound stupid, but I don’t mind. I can never for the life of me figure out how to write す and む well. The god damn loop on them always makes す look like it’s a ち and む always turns out like a mistake made by god.

4 Likes

My す’s can also be disastrously bad. There are very subtle things that go into getting a character just right.

2 Likes

I’m a super beginner so i havent written a ton of kanji in my notebook yet but i had so much fun writing out my page of 後 . Its just the one that looked best and it was easy for me to get the proportions right bc of the easy double sideways v shapes.
i am so bad at writing 達 :sob: . which sucks because its in so many example sentences for my grammar practice. i always end up with the swoopy radical on the left merging with the lines on my lined paper.

3 Likes

I teach at a school with 藤 in the name, so I have to write that kanji like 10x a week for various reports and stuff… I’ve been teaching there for four years, and it still looks like complete trash like half the time that I write it.
It’s also so common in last names… I’m relieved that my boyfriend’s last name has super easy kanji in case I ever end up acquiring that name as my own, lol.

4 Likes

I avoided writing kanji for ages, but I finally started working on simple ones recently. I’ve been writing the date and weekday in kanji on my planner, and there’s something especially satisfying about 水.

Hiragana-wise, I totally agree with the す complaints. I feel like I’ve committed a crime every time I write it.

5 Likes

That one I write it as (the same as for 肅 > 粛).
Another hard to write is for similar reasons.

2 Likes

I was really in the mood to write some kanji today after downloading and trying Ringotan, so I made a new notebook (old Japanese notebook of mine is buried under at least 2 years of other notes). I was planning on using my Kuru Toga (it’s such a great pencil!), but wound up using the purple chosch pen I have instead. It’s not ballpoint (exactly?), it’s a bit more inky than that… And it skips a bit. But the colour is nice. \_(O.~)_/

For comparison, the pencil in the bottom left I just wrote fast now with the Kuru Toga, hours later (and late enough I should be sleeping).

I found 黒 very aesthetically pleasing to write. Oddly, 夏 was easier to finger paint on my phone with my thumb… XD

4 Likes

I enjoy practicing 書道, and whenever I’m not using an actual brush, I enjoy using a Pentel Fude Touch pen. It’s considerably softer than the Fudenosuke, but they come in several different sizes and you may find some alternate colors, too.

1 Like

I bought a pdf of square kanji practice sheet paper, so I can print out as many sheets as I want. I got it off of Etsy, and the boxes are on the bigger side and have the smaller cross grid inside to help me with learning placement of strokes.

Please excuse the poor writing, this was my yolo practice sheet. Also, I need a better pen.

3 Likes

If anyone’s looking for cheap practice paper, Purple Culture has a free practice sheet generator. It’s geared towards learning hanzi for Chinese, so be careful if you ask it to pre-print characters, but you can leave the character field blank and get a full sheet of practice paper. You can even change the grid style it uses.

4 Likes

I don’t like the kanji 心 by itself, but I’m ok with the radical inside other kanji like 愛 or 思.

My absolute least favorite is the 門 radical. It never looks right.

My favorite kanji are any with the hat, like 食、会、合、今.

Agreed.

2 Likes

This is super satisfying to write.

2 Likes

My favourite kanji to write at the moment is 引, the storke order! Wow! I’m so easily entertained whenever I write it.
母 is definitely up there too, and (I think that it) looks way better written out than it does digitally. Amazing.

I can never get 四 to look right. It just doesn’t work for me. And I don’t even want to talk about 心…

3 Likes

For some reason I can never get 女 to look right in any kanji it’s included in. But i think I’m slowly getting better at it.

My favorite to write is anything with this one: 散 故 敵 etc

3 Likes

鼻. I hate 鼻, I can never get it balanced right. Also 飛. I wrote it right one time, and that was the first time I learned the proper stroke order and didn’t just try to wing it. For some reason, I haven’t been able to write it properly since.

My 門 radicals also tend to be a tad unbalanced (the right side wider than the left), which is annoying, but I don’t hate it. (When there’s a bunch of stuff under there that I gotta try and squeeze in, like with 闘, on the other hand… It really doesn’t help that my handwriting is pretty small and I gotta try and force myself to write bigger in Japanese.)

As for ones I love… I actually like the 戈構え ones. I like the swoopy motions to write that radical.

I also really like writing 愛. I thought I had a picture of a neat one that I wrote, but it’s actually a video (tumblr link) showing off the pretty sparkly marker I’d bought lol. My handwriting usually ain’t that neat though

I can’t remember which stroke order I use for 必 (if it was a Chinese one or a different language), but I actually can’t write it with the Japanese stroke order. (It’s small left stroke, large down-right stroke, small top stroke, large down-left stroke, small right stroke. That’s much more intuitive for me. Also fun.)

I don’t write much (handwriting lookups in Shirabe Jisho notwithstanding; though with it not liking to pick up like 10% of my strokes, and with me not always having to finish a kanji to get the one I’m looking for to come up, I’m not sure I’d count it), so I’m sure there are more that I just don’t remember.

2 Likes

I just bought a Kuru Toga last month - and somehow I have misplaced it :sob:

I’m interested in learning stroke orders - but my handwriting doesn’t come close to looking proper (I feel a certain amount of pain in my hand when writing - anything, not just kanji - which gets in the way of aiming for perfection - but nobody is grading me, so, so what if I don’t get it perfectly correct) - nevertheless I will keep looking for where I put my Kuru Toga and will use that in my practice.

Ringotan is also on my short list to investigate…