I did the thing: An (apparently not so) brief level 60 post

Thank you! Best of luck as you continue on your journey, friend! :smiley:

I have not resurrected any burned items, and as far as long-term review goes, I don’t have any special tool for that. While I’m sure that I’ve forgotten some of my burns, I’m not too concerned about that. I’ve been doing a lot of reading with the Absolute Beginner and Beginner Book Clubs, as well as a decent amount of my own reading projects (two manga series, and a light novel). I expect that, now that I won’t have as much WaniKani taking up my time, I will only increase the amount of reading I’m doing. From this point, I’m going to let immersion be how I “review” words. If I see it a lot, I’ll learn it that way. If I don’t see it a lot, it’s not going to be that big a deal if I have to look it up every once in a while as a refresher, you know?

I may, at some point, decide to start adding some words to Anki or something of that sort, but for the time being, I need a small break from SRS. :sweat_smile: I can’t just keep collecting and reviewing words in isolation, and I need to spend more time actually using them, whether that’s by listening to anime, Vtubers, podcasts, etc., by reading manga, novels, or news articles, or by speaking and writing. I think that focusing more heavily on that will do me more good than more SRS and trying to, vainly, remember every single word I’ve ever learned by reviewing it to death, if that makes sense. I mean, English is my native tongue, and there are plenty of words that I see used where I occasionally just have to suck it up and look it up, because it’s obscure, or something I haven’t seen before. I remember the words that I do because I’m using them regularly.

I think that now that I’ve got a good foundation of vocabulary and kanji knowledge, I should be learning Japanese by using it, same as I did and continue to do for English, you know?

6 Likes