I am little confused

DO NOT do RTK without also doing the Kanji Koohi SRS (and making use of the fabulous mnemonics on the site). It’s mandatory. The book without koohi is poopy butts.

Because WK is a site primarily to learn kanji, not vocabulary. Learn the various readings and meanings for a kanji, then you can figure out readings/meanings of words that aren’t on WK or that you haven’t learned yet by utilizing the fundamental knowledge you have. In other words, learn individual kanji meanings and readings → potentially understand anything using the kanji that you know. Disregard kanji and only learn vocabulary → you willfully limit yourself to only understanding the words you have already learned.

The SRS web is here. I noticed that Kanji Koohii has two i’s, but Koohi Cafe has only one.

But instead of me using SRS, I really read them one by one, before studying Kangxi’s and using WaniKani.

2 Likes

Why would you need to do that? If you don’t know a word just use an offline dictionary on your phone. No need to guess it

If I don’t know the reading it’s difficult to look it up in a physical dictionary - I prefer jp-jp if I’m actually studying. Also my dictionary is really cute and it makes me happy using it so I want to do it as much as possible lmao! I can look up by radical or use a dictionary online where you draw the kanji but I don’t like using my phone for studying that much so it’s a pain. It really interrupts the flow of eg reading as well. Also isn’t it fun to be able to guess the reading of new words and then realise you actually know the word and not have to look it up at all?

Words written with multiple kanji and no kana are almost always read with on’yomi, words with a single kanji or kana attached are almost always read with kun’yomi. Kun’yomi generally have more syllables because on’yomi all only had one syllable, and that was adapted to JP pronunciation rules as best as possible. (many even before ん so you have う and む). If this still doesn’t mean anything just open a list of readings for 20 random kanji and compare the on with the kun readings.
There. No special software needed ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯

Thanks fren, but I do Know the rules (I’ve been learning for a long time) - it’s just helpful to have them reinforced and I find the introduction of onyomi → vocab quite calming since it wraps everything up neatly. Of course I still know many kanji outside of wanikani through lookups or familiarity but I didn’t really gain confidence reading things other than manga until I started doing it in a structured way. Though I will admit it’s a bit tougher if a kanji comes up and I don’t already know a word containing it, but that’s just learning isn’t it lol. I think everyone just has different ways they learn best and sometimes the advice “well just remember it like I did” isn’t always that widely applicable. Also also last thing I Swear but I really like kanji and think they’re awesome so quite like focusing a little on each one. Definitely an attitude that developed over time though, they scared me at the beginning.

(I can’t figure out how to quote I’m obviously too dumb so apologies xoxo)

5 Likes

Little “quote” button pops up when you select text. Click it. :slightly_smiling_face:

Or when youre replying to a post, you can just click the “quote whole post” button in the edit box toolbar, and truncate as need be.

5 Likes

Thanks for the all the answers. My issue is, I still can’t grasp whole Kanji thing. I am almost at level 3, I will definitely continue but again, I am still confused. It is something I have to understand myself I guess because as I am clueless, I can’t even ask the right question.

1 Like

Basically, WK is here as a kanji learning tool. Thus, everything about it is in service of you learning a kanji.

It starts easing you by showing the shape of the kanji, a meaning and a reading (or two). This is so you get the gist of it. Then, vocabulary comes in to reinforce known information and expand to the extra readings and meanings a kanji can take. You asked why not just learn 下 on a word, but its because the vocabulary isn’t here on its own worth, but to reinforce meanings/readings a kanji can take.

Learning kanji by encountering on vocab is not the wrong way to do it, and if it works for you, you should do it. WKs method is just more focused on you learning about the kanjis than the words themselves

Wanikani teaches these readings first because they’re the ones you’re going to see the majority of the time. That is the logic. There are heaps of words that include this Kanji and they’re almost always going to use those readings instead of shita. When it’s used as a stand alone it’s going to the shita, when it’s part of a word it’s usually going to be something else. This is an unfortunate reality of Kanji. You’ll learn at least two readings, one when it’s used alone and one when it’s part of another word (this is only generally true).

Here are a fraction of the common words you’re gonna see.
地下鉄 Chikatetsu
下さい Kudasai
下手 Heta
廊下 Rouka
下がる Sagaru
下宿 Geshuku
低下 Teika

As you can see, there are a heap of readings for this kanji and one could argue that the most common are the ones taught by WK first. Basically, there is no way around it and you’re going to have to learn both the kunyomi and onyomi readings if you want to read Japanese. WK is a great tool for this