How to reduce apprentices, and reduce stress?

Sorry for not responding sooner everyone - was very tired the past few days! I currently have a B12 deficiency, which has been exhausting me (another reason perhaps why I was starting to stress about the numbers haha)

But all of your responses were really helpful, so thank you so much all!

This really comforted me, knowing that it’s very likely I’ll be able to reach my goal in my desired time, especially since I’ve done 10+ lessons most days up until now ^^

I think I might do something like this, though perhaps not completely stop lessons, because that would stress me out - instead I might just limit the lessons if it’s beyond the cut-off

I think I might limit my lessons to 5-10 per day when I’m above my apprentice limit, because although it is slow progress as you said, it’s still progress. And I also have Anki and Clozemaster (though I haven’t gotten around to using the latter consistently), but have never heard of iKnow. I might check it out though at some point!

Though I’m afraid WaniKani will still be my priority for now, cuz it’s the most expensive haha

(P.S. your whole comment/post was really helpful actually, but I couldn’t quote it all haha. Thank you very much for the response!)

Thank you, this really helped ^^

Having thought about it, I think that 20 lessons daily may push me over 100, so it may be that I’ll do 20 when it’s below 100, and 10 when above 100. Thank you again for the encouragement!

I have been doing this, and it has actually helped quite a bit (just not quite enough sadly haha). Thank you for suggesting it!

Even faster than 200 days too hopefully, because of the fast levels! :wink:

And I don’t think my brain had quite properly registered how much the workload would drop when I reach level 60, so thank you very much for the reminder. That did relax me quite a bit. Hopefully I’ll be able to reach 60 before the exams, so the workload will have lessened when it’s time for the all-day-every-day-panic-studying haha

Furthermore @Spelchek (also just got the joke of your name and it made me actually laugh out loud so thanks for the laugh haha!), your whole response was very comforting and kind. You really helped me take a step back and destress for a bit. And a special thank you for that last paragraph - that was very very kind of you, and I think my life is much better with my knowledge of Japanese. It makes me happy, gives me a passion and allows me to enjoy the culture of my favourite country. It also gives me hope that one day I can be there in the flesh and feel like a part of things

P.S. On another note, I’d never even heard that phrase, so don’t worry, no critiques coming from me haha!

Wow, I absolutely wish I had your power of limiting your reviews. I do 300-400 reviews per day lmao. Good for you though, keep going! It seems like you’ve found a very effective way of doing WaniKani for you ^^

I hadn’t really thought about this, so this realisation was quite a comfort to me, so thank you for that! I hope it does make it a little faster in the long run that it would have been

That’s quite good to know. Thank you! I’ve decided that I’ll be doing less than 20 per day (most days probably), but at least I know I probably won’t be slowing down too much :slight_smile:

Exercise, oh god.

Just kidding, just kidding (partly). I have been told many times that exercise works with stress and with keeping yourself from getting tired, but I can never quite get myself to do it consistently haha.

I will keep trying though, thank you for the suggestion! ^^

Conclusion

As was suggested by @jneapan I will do all radical lessons right away (which I have actually been doing already), and then reviews will go like this:

If my apprentices are >100: 5-10 kanji per day (depending on how busy I am), 10 vocab per day - so at most 10 lessons per day

If my apprentices are <100: 10 kanji per day, 15-20 vocab per day (again depending on how busy I am)

I’m going to write down things I find myself getting wrong consistently, and sometimes use BishBashBosh to review recently incorrect answers, depending on if I feel I have the time, and if I feel it would really benefit that particular batch of incorrect answers.

I’m hoping with this I can lessen my apprentices and still level up at a relatively consistent and not too slow pace. Do you guys think it’s a good plan? (Don’t worry if you don’t want to respond to the same post again haha)

Anyway, thank you all again for the responses! They were all very helpful and allowed me to step back and relax a little. I appreciate you all greatly! ^^
5 Likes