How to come back after a year off

I’m sure a lot of people have talked about this before. Due to a huge load of work and other issues in my life I stopped learning japanese a year ago. Now I’m in a point I want to go back to my learning. I am in level 7 currently but I see I have 680 reviews at the moment!
Is there any way to do this in a less painfull way than stay days only doing reviews until I clean them all ? How did you came back from some time off?

1 Like

You may want to read the story of @evethemighty In a situation like yours she just powered through her pile until they were are done.

https://community.wanikani.com/t/3739-review-avalanche-of-death/45226

2 Likes

I came back from a 2 month break to over 1200 reviews: Finally hit that wall

I ended up just dedicating a few days to powering through them, but that also increased my workload over the next few months as those items came back around.

However, at your level, you may want to just reset. Since you’ve gone over the material already you could probably get back to the same level in less than 2 months.

3 Likes

If I’m completely honest then I’d just say reset. It is not like you’re level 30.

2 Likes

I was level 29 (after roughly 2 years), and stayed away for about 6 months. I was smart enough to activate vacation mode when I left, so I had about 200 reviews, which looks manageable. However, not having a wall of reviews when you come back doesn’t make it easier. I was going through my review and each different item brought a different pain. Long story short: I was struggling not only with kanji from level 29 and 28, I was having a hard time with items down to level 18 - items that would drop to beginner at some point and push a lot of reviews. Maybe I could make it, but honestly, there was a lot I was not on top of my game, so I just hit the reset button up to level 1.

I’m going up my way to level 3 likely tomorrow, no regrets so far.

2 Likes

If you’re level 7 and are haven’t completely forgotten all the kanji, I would just take a few days to study the kanji and words until level 7, and then work at getting the reviews down in the next couple of days. If you reset it will take you a few months to be back at level 7, while I think I couple of days of good old fashioned studying would just do the same.

1 Like

At level 7 I would say a reset would probably serve you best. It’s about 1.5 months of full speed to get back to lvl 7. I’d say worth it. Lvl 1 and 2 is done in a week combined, so would just go back to start really, have a nice slow start =)
I have reset twice, it was worth it =)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.