How many new lessons do you do per day?

I just do 5-10 lessons a day. 15-20 when I’m feeling smart.

To me, something like jprs’s method is waaay overthinking it. I use wanikani specifically to avoid having to plan out scheduled learning. Wanikani takes care of the intervals for me, I just check a few times a day and see if I have reviews to do.

I’m not in a hurry though. If you’re concerned with speed, his advice is gold.

Just a second opinion.

7 Likes

I think it depends on a lot of factors.

If it’s radicals, I do all of them. Kanji around 10 a day. Vocab up to 20 a day.

If I know I have the next day off, I sometimes do more as I find hitting the first 3 reviews as soon as they’re available helps me cement it in my memory - whether it’s a high volume or not.

Compared to, for example, doing a lesson, missing the 4 hour review because I’m at work, having evening plans and then not reviewing til the next day, I may as well just do the lesson over (unless it naturally clicked anyway) as I find it harder to recall.

1 Like

I generally try to do all my lessons and reviews when they come up, provided I’m not busy doing something else at the time.

When I’m not busy I try to do 40 a day (20 in the morning/20 at night) although in the busier times I usually do 20 a day in some variation. 10 in the morning and 10 at night is usually what I go for although sometimes I just do one session of 20 at night.

How do you even remember that?! Yeah, I only occasionally use the mnemonics. I think I do alright only because I have had a lot of exposure to the language, so it just fits in with what I already know. It’s rare that I am not already familiar with a word using the kanji I’m learning; as long as I remember either the reading or the meaning I can usually figure out the other.

2 Likes

As Kumi already said, Kumi is not human like the rest of us. Kumi is a vampire-supercomputer residing on another planet in a distant galaxy. The rules of physics do not apply.

9 Likes

This might seem kinda weird, but if I have huge batches of lessons I’ll flip through them by random one to two times in sets of 10 without quizzing, then I’ll come back in a few hours to do them and I’ll find that they stick to my mind much better since I at least saw them once before. Then I’m able to get through 100ish lessons that day.

On days where I’ll be able to return to WaniKani multiple times throughout the day, I space them out in 10-15 per visit. That’s how I prefer to do them. If it’s a one-visit sort of day, I’ll just do maybe 20 in the morning.

I say do as many as you can but find a window of between an hour or two and really spend time on the mnemonics. If you have the mnemonics for the kanji meanings and on’yomi etched into your brain a lot of the later vocab is a breeze.

For example in level 2 you learned 本 ほん or ぽん It shows up again and again in later vocab items and usually has one of those two readings. This is one of many kanji examples that reappear like this in combination with other kanji. If you work really hard on the kanji readings and meanings the vocab is a piece of cake and you can just tank through the new lessons that are words made up of kanji readings you already know really well.

Maybe i’m not getting the full picture here but.

Lessons for a given level are delivered day after day regardless of your learning right?

Wouldn’t it make more sense to dish out lessons only when things are removed from the apprentice pile?

Everyday when i’m given a pile of new things I always tell myself “man I just wish that for a week I could just practice on the things I currently am not good at”

But if i do that i’ll have 100 lessons waiting for me :stuck_out_tongue:

You get all the lessons at once, it’s not like each day you’re getting more lessons (unless you guru a radical/kanji that unlocks a few more lessons), so you can take your time with them if you really want to review what you’ve already learned so far.

I usually do radicals and kanji immediately, and then I try to do 20 vocab per day afterwards

1 Like

Best advice I’ve ever read here was to keep your apprentice queue as close to 100 items as possible.

That means new lessons don’t get done until that queue is low enough, and get done in a batch if it’s too low. It’s more about managing your overall review queue than when you choose to do the lessons.

1 Like

I agree with @IanD, although, in my personal case, I have to reword it to fighting to get to 100 appentice items. I can’t remember the last time I’ve gone above 87 no matter how hard I try. :rofl: For reference, I also due all of my lesson immediately and attempt to intentionally keep my review items as bulked as possible.

@Kyrah You get lessons upon leveling up or moving radicals/kanji to Guru. Reviews will constantly keep coming at you at different intervals depending on their level until you burn them. Radicals unlock kanji, a process usually necessary to reach 90% kanji completion to level up.

Vocabulary doesn’t affect your level at all, which is why many people rush radical/kanji lessons while spacing out vocabulary. This is also the purpose of the Reorder script which pushes the vocabulary to the back of lessons, allowing you to focus on the new content for speed.

Maybe it feels like you are constantly getting new lessons every day because you are on the first couple of levels - they are sped up compared to all the others.

As the others have said, you unlock new items when you ‘Guru’ existing items. So you unlock kanji lessons when you Guru radicals, and you unlock vocab lessons when you Guru kanji.

You don’t have to worry about lessons continually piling up. You can do them whenever you like. As you’ve seen, most people either do them in batches or do a specific number each day. You can control your speed by changing the number of lessons you do each day.

Have you read the FAQ and Guide? That will probably help a lot :slight_smile:

I typically do 5 lessons per review when possible. That said, I do reviews almost as soon as they become available, so that means I can usually finish all the lessons in one or two days (as the batches become available). I find it’s good way to keep up with the lessons without frying my memory, and it usually means I’ll be seeing the new radicals/kanji/vocab in the next lesson or so, which I feel helps reinforce the lesson.

However many it takes to get my lesson cap score to a hundred, with certain modifications (I do radicals and kanji immediately, pretty much.)

I do as much as I can endure before falling asleep over the keyboard. Then I let the SRS system do the magic of my memorization. I think I’ve been keeping a good pace until now.

I don’t do lessons if it will put my apprentice queue over 80 - I do 5 at a time when the apprentice queue is 75 or less. I did the lessons all at once when starting WK and at some point WK was crowding out all my other study. It feels much more balanced this way, and doing other kinds of study gives the kanji and vocab to get more grounded in context. It is going to take a long time to finish though.

Seems like I do between 9 to 15 lessons a day most of the time. (The 36 was an error in the script’s operation time.) Blue dates are Sundays, Green fields is on level-ups.

I had a new look at my lessons per day, and found that my average for the last monthish was about 19 per day. I expect this number to go down as I get more and more items in my queue. Probably gonna end up around doing around 10~15 per day, I suspect. I follow the lesson cap strictly, so my review count will remain the same per day (I get around 120 reviews per day, which is enough. Truly.) pretty much anyway, but my number of lessons per day will go down, as I get tougher/less familiar kanji.

The spikes probably coincide with my levels up, at which I do all radicals at once.