How long did it take to get to your current level?

It’s been a year and a month for me now…
Progressing much more slowly than I’d like.

1 Like

Almost 31 years… But I started learning Japanese on Monday June 12, 2017. Joined Wanikani on August 15, 2017, did first three levels. I didnt want another monthly subscription outcome, tried KKLC - saw new years sale, then I ordered lifetime.

This looks very ominous for me… :smiley: try to pull through tho! Just a few more kanji!

Anyways, here’s mine so far. 421 days and level 51, it could’ve been faster but I’ve had some vacations where I couldn’t do reviews/lessons (I’ve removed those from the calculation). Currently trying to speed through the last levels but I’m already feeling the increased burden D:

1 Like

I probably should have mentioned – the level-56 holdup was not with the level itself, but because I was in the middle of graduating from college/searching for a job/starting a new job at the time.

421 days to level 51 is impressive for sure – at this rate you’ll be reaching level 60 at well under 1.5 years. I’m pretty envious, since that was my starting goal… Great job keeping up the pace!

1 Like

Next week will be a month for me. Just about to finish level 2, pretty sure I will be starting level 3 before 30 days of signing up. I try not too do too many lessons, maybe 5 per day, I like to focus on making sure I don’t have many leaches. I work full time and have many other things to do so I think I am making good pace with the limited time I have. Luckily I have a job where I can get away with doing reviews on my ipad without my boss noticing or caring really.

It took me 1057 days to reach my current level XD

I registered at Wanikani back then and then totally forgot about it and learning japanese. Now I’m back full of motivation

1 Like

Ah, I see, life certainly knows how to thwart one’s plans yeah… :confused: I’ve also changed jobs and it was definitely the most difficult time to keep my pace going.

But tbh, as long as you continue afterwards, taking a break or something is fine (but it gets really hard to motivate oneself to start again :stuck_out_tongue: ). Anyways, keep going and I hope to see you at level 60 before I get there :wink:

WOW, how did you recover from a 3 month break? I see you had a 500+ review session lol
I started 2017-05-21 (322 days ago) - (almost a year)

Also, how did you know about your fancy pants chart at level 1? I only stumbled across it at level 10, so I’m missing my wk birth

Can’t upload a picture from my phone. But I can say I have the 0/0 again. Been a long time.

1 Like

144 days to get to Level 3 … nothing to brag about.

Level 8: Discovered Wanikani Ultimate Timeline
Level 18: Discovered Wanikani Override
Level 26: Discovered Wanikani Mistake Delay

It took me ~3 months to recover from my 8-day level in order to shift my schedule back to where I liked it. That was a massive pain, definitely would not recommend fighting upstream enough to cross day boundaries like that.

1 Like

I’ve just leveled up to level 7. Been doing WaniKani for four months or so.

1 Like

56 days to get to level 8 today. Wasted a lot of time during the first 3 levels as I had no clue how to use WK.

The break was “only” two months, but it did take me a whole month to get back on track. I just did a bit every day. Trying to get through my backlog (of over 2250 items) quickly would just have resulted in burnout.

I have posted this before, but you can see my recovery in this graph.

I decided on something like day 3 that I wanted to track my progress with graphs, so I started (manually) recording some data every day. You don’t have much going on at level 1 so I remembered my item distribution for the previous days as well, which is why I have data from day 1. At some point I switched over to a script for recording the data. Due do this I actually don’t have data going back to day 1 for all of my charts. As you see in the one above it starts slightly after day 50 (x-axis is days since start).

2 Likes

Level 19 at the moment, 164 days

130 days. I’m not very fast, but I learn Japanese for fun anyway. I will probably speed up during my summer holidays, now I don’t have much time because I have so much material to learn for my university. And I’m also learning Russian at the same time, so I have to split my free time between those two languages.

2 Likes

I reset my progress back in January and after months of procrastinating and not having the cash to renew my subscription until last week, it’s taken me about five months to get to level 4. Horrible, I know.

What was worse was the two years it took me to get to level 13.

I believe it took me 3 months and I just reached level 3!
I am not sure how people can progress so fast haha, it takes me a long time and many mistakes to get words to Guru :slight_smile: It is a bit demotivating, but I am getting there!

It took me like 10 days lol